Chapter 1 - D-Day

Hayes POV

Music was blasting within the room as I was sat on the couch with Mary on my lap. I was semi drunk and Mary was a little bit tipsy too, but we weren't too bad. We were at a house party that was being hosted by a boy from our college, it was very crowded to day the least. There were drunk people everywhere in the house, most people were either in the living room, kitchen or back garden area.

"Babe what's up?" Mary turned to me.
"Nothing I'm fine." I smiled weakly. "Just tired."
"I can tell when something's on your mind." Mary lowered her voice.
"Something just doesn't feel right." I shook my head. "I don't know what it is but I can't help but feel like something bad is going to happen soon."
"Stop stressing, it's just a party." Mary places her hands on my shoulders.
I simply exhaled heavily in response. I started looking around with a paranoid expression across my face. I felt Mary's hand on my cheek turning my face towards her. She leaned down and pressed her soft plump lips against my own and kept them their for a few seconds before pulling away again.
"Things will be fine." Mary tried to reassure me.
"Maybe we should go." I looked around. "Something doesn't seem right."
"Babe stop stressing, you're going to ruin the night." Mary scolded.
"We don't even need to be here." I sighed. "Let's just go."
"I'm staying Hayes, it's just a party." Mary pulled back a bit. "Why don't you just go if you really don't want to be here."
"Are you serious?" I snapped.
"Yes, I am Hayes. If you want to leave that bad just go."
Mary got off my lap and stood up. I stood up and shook my head at Mary.
"Fine. I'll go." I sighed.
"Hayes..." Mary trailer off.
"Forget it May."

I made my way through the house and to the front door, pushing past all the raving people in the house. I opened the front door and walked straight out on to the front porch. I shoved my phone in my pocket and started walking down the street. I had been walking for around five minutes and felt my phone vibrating in my pocket but I didn't bother reaching for it. I reached for my phone after it had kept vibrating a couple of times.

"Hayes I-I need you t-to come back...!" Mary's voice panicked through the phone.
"Wait wait slow down." I tried to calm her down. "What's going on?"
"Somethings happened." She breathed heavily as I started hearing shouts in the background. "I'm trying to get out but the doors been locked."
"I'm coming." I rushed as I turned around and
started sprinting in the direction of the house. "Just stay on the phone to me baby. I'm coming."
I kept sprinting down the road towards the house and nearly stumbled up the porch. I tried to open the front door but it was in fact locked. I kept trying to kick the door down but it was no use, the door would not open at all.
"I can't get through." I panicked angrily. "I can't get it to open."
"Try the back Hayes, the glass doors."
I ran round the side of the house and jumped over the garden gate at the back of the house. I could see through the glass sliding doors and saw people running and panicking within the kitchen and living room. I pulled the glass door handle and tried to open it and pulled it open. I saw Mary rush towards the open glass doors and run into my arms. She quickly pulled me and rushed me away from the glass doors.
"What's going on?" I questioned her confused. "What's happened?"
"We just need to get away from here."

Mary led me through the back garden and through to the back street behind the house.
"Mary what's going on?!" I stopped in my tracks. "What happened?"
"Someone was attacked." She started explaining. "Someone stumbling into the house, he looked drunk and had stuff around his mouth. He was snarling and groaning at people and kept reaching for people, everyone steered clear form him and the boys tried getting him out of the house but then he reached for me..."
Mary showed me her arm with bloody scratches on them.
"And he did that to me. One of the boys punched him and took him to the floor but as he did the guy has bit his arm and taken a chunk out of it." Mary teared up as she explained it to me. "He bit someone else too and Mark was on the phone to the police and someone else called an ambulance. But the guy is just going crazy in there."
"What the fuck..." I breathed out. "I should go back in and help!"
"No!" Mary pulled me back. "He's going psycho in there, practically trying to eat people."
"I can't just leave them all in there!?"