Chapter XXIV

Piper

I walked through the hallways, my head down, my uniform convincing enough. I had to force myself to walk slowly, nodding at agents I passed when all I wanted to do was sprint. I memorized the location of the cell long before I even left this place. Just a few more turns. Just a few more moments before I see Jason again.

The Amazons with me are behind me at a loose follow. At this exact moment, Reyna is in the next building over with some Hunters, heading to the New Rome holding area. Thalia and her group will wait an extra half hour to go to command and get Annabeth.

My hands are shaking. My heart is racing in my chest, but I'm more anxious to just get to the cell than I am of getting caught. And before I know it, I'm standing in front of the door, key card in hand. The Amazons nod at me and keep walking to other cells.

I can hardly get the key steady enough to swipe it, but finally I do and the door swings open. And there he is, sitting against the wall. He's staring at me, eyes wide. "Jason," I choke out, eyes watering.

He pushes himself to his feet and stumbles toward me. I choke back a sob because he's here and I've got my arms around him in the tightest hug. I'm terrified to let go. I start rocking us back and forth a little. "Piper," he says, not quite comprehending. "Why are you here?"

"We're all here, Jase. The Amazons and the Hunters too. Thalia's here, we're gonna get everyone out, okay? Reyna's getting New Rome right now."

I pulled away just enough to see his face, blue eyes wide and tearful. I planted a kiss on his lips. They were warm and feverish. I let Jason out of the hug when Leo cleared his throat. I turned to him and he had his arms out, expecting a hug. He was smiling, tears streaming down his face.

I ran to him and wrapped him in a hug. "Is Callie here?" He asked. "Yeah," I whispered back. Then I went to Frank and hugged him, then to Nico and Will. I finally stood back, smiling wide, tears pouring out of my eyes. That's about when I realized someone was missing.

"Hey, uh...where's-where's Hazel?" I asked. Almost instantly, all the boys' eyes found the floor. That alone hit me hard. Frank's lips dipped into a frown as he struggled to keep it together. Percy's death came crashing down on me all at once, the reality that Hazel was gone too just didn't make sense to me. She couldn't...she couldn't be dead.

"No," I muttered, shaking my head. "No, no no no no no," I said, growing frantic, searching every corner of the cell with my eyes, desperately trying to find my friend hiding or something.

Jason's arms were around me again, steadying me. "There's something else," he said somberly. "Percy-"

"I know," I said, burying my face in his shoulder. "I know."

Looking back around the room I say the way Frank's hands wouldn't stop shaking and how his eyes were red. I saw the straight face he was so desperately trying to maintain. Leo was anxiously twirling something between his fingers.

I saw how Nico, poor Nico, looked to be struggling to stay on his feet. His face was emotionless, his skin paler than when I'd last seen him. The only way I could tell he was coherent was the death grip he had on Will's hand.

I took a shaky breath, glancing out the open door to where all the demigods were being set free. I remember the third day we were here, when Percy used his powers to bust out of the cell and we fought guards with vigor, trying to escape.

Now though, everyone's moves were sluggish and I was reminded of the hell everyone's been through. I turned back to the boys.

"We have to go. We need to get everyone out of the cells and then head to the landing pad. Calypso and Rachel will be there with some sky canoes," I said. Leo smiled at that.

We all shuffled out, into the crowd of demigods. It wouldn't be long until Everette noticed something was wrong and agents would be on our tail. I would like to get everyone to building three where security isn't as strong before that happens.

I assumed my position at the front of the group, while the others fell behind. Leo ran up to me. "What exactly is going on?" He asked over the noise. "We're gonna burn the whole compound to the ground," I answered, a note of pride in my voice. Leo nodded.

"I need to go," he said. "What- Leo! Go where?"

"I need to destroy the Harvesters. They're indestructible, they would survive the fire. I can't risk anyone else coming across them. I built a fail-safe."

I didn't want him to be off on his own, but I finally agreed. "Okay, but go to command! Thalia's there, she'll make sure you get out." Leo smiled again, then put a hand on my shoulder. Then he was gone.

Towards the back of the group, the ground shook and a crack appeared in the floor. Screams broke out as I struggled to keep everyone under control. "GO!" I yelled, "Keep going!" Demigods pushed past me, on their way to the third building and the landing pad.

I made my way through to the back and saw four demigods on the other side of the crack. It was too big to jump across, there was no way they would make it. One of the demigods was Jason. He said something to the other three and then held out his arms, closing his eyes and concentrated. Even from here, I could see the vein on his forehead.

With a great gust of wind, the three demigods flew over the chasm, crashing to safety where a few others helped them up and hurried them along. "Jason!" I yelled. It was hard enough to summon wind indoors without being drained of your powers repeatedly for an extended amount of time. I knew he was drained without looking at him for confirmation.

Between gasps, he said, "Reyna...is down there...right?"

"Yes, but-but you need to go this way, come on, Jason, you can make it!"

He shook his head, glancing back the way he'd come. "I can get there from a lower floor. I'll find her and meet you, okay? I promise!"

I wanted to say something else, but the building shook again. "Damn it! They weren't supposed to start this yet!" I cursed.

I studied Jason across from me. "Okay," I agreed finally. He nodded before turning back and running. I watched him for a few short seconds, memorizing his retreating form, praying to all the gods that he'd keep his promise.