Chapter XXIX

Jason

Annabeth, Piper, Leo, Frank, Nico, Will, and I stood outside of the Empire State Building, back in New York. No one said a word, we all just stood there, staring. Nico had reminded us the night before what Percy said about the gods in his dream visit. "I was never the hero," he'd supposedly said.

The greatest hero of our age was destined to free the gods from Olympus. According to Percy, it was never him to begin with. So we all stood in front of the door, the only building for miles still perfectly intact. 

Finally Leo broke the silence. "Well I doubt it'll be me, but hey, lets see what happens." He walked up to the door and tugged on the handles. They wouldn't budge. I frowned and stepped up, trying it as well. They didn't move.

"Step back," I warned, and I concentrated and the sky darkened. I sent a bolt of lightning for the door and it smoked and smoldered...but still wouldn't open. Piper cocked her head in curiosity, eyeing Annabeth a moment before trying it herself. Nothing. 

Frank, Nico, and Will stood back as Annabeth, silent and emotionless, walked up to the grand entrance doors. She rested her hands on the handles and pulled...and they swung open effortlessly. 

Piper smiled like she'd known all along. Annabeth barely hesitated at the revelation, walking through the threshold and approaching the elevator. We all piled in together and watched as the floor number rose and rose until it finally stopped at 600. The elevator dinged and the doors slid open to reveal Olympus looking to be in quite the sorry state.

Moss and vines had grown everywhere, covering the walls of the palace. The square which was normally bustling with activity reflected a ghost town. 

We followed Annabeth along the moss covered stone path all the way to the Throne Room. The great big doors were cracked and crumbling, held fast by thick, glowing golden chains. The statues of Hera and Zeus on either side looked centuries old instead sparkling new like usual. Annabeth approached the chains and gently ran her fingers over them and they lost their glow and fell to the floor at her touch and the doors swung open when she pushed them.

The gods all sat around, in various sorts of disarray. All eyes turned to us and silence rang throughout the Throne Room. 

"The Greatest Hero of the Age," Zeus murmured as the gods celebrated around him. "Please accept our humble thanks."

Annabeth nodded, not seeming to care all that much about the title she'd received. She'd lost too much to appreciate what she'd gained.

Athena approached her daughter with tears in her eyes. "My poor child," she said, and she brought Annabeth to herself in a motherly hug, probably the most affection she'd every given her and Annabeth's eyes widened as the tears started to fall.

Looking around I saw Apollo's blinding smile as he chatted with Will, winking at Nico. Leo and his dad, Hephaestus were discussing something and Piper rolled her eyes at something Aphrodite had said, though she was smiling. Frank was staring at the floor and nodding sadly at something Hades had said to him and to my disbelief, patted Frank on the back and offered a smile.

Zeus walked up to me, his hands in his pockets, nervous. I balked. Why was Zeus nervous? 

"I am sorry, my son," Zeus said. "A horrible thing has happened and I am truly sorry that we weren't able to aid you. A good many of our children have died and a good many more have to live with the pain this mortal man has caused you." He paused, biting his lip. 

It was strange, standing next to the King of the Gods with the knowledge that he was my father(or some version, rather). And it was strange because I was just about the same height as him and he was nervous. 

Zeus turned to me, looking me in the eyes for the first time. "I'm glad you're okay, son."

"Thanks," I whispered, not quite sure what to say to that. He nodded awkwardly and patted me on the back, walking back to where Hera was waiting. 

I stood there in solitude for a few moments, watching the interactions around me. Someone cleared his throat behind me and I turned to see Poseidon standing there, looking miserable, his eyes red rimmed and wet. 

My heart plummeted in my chest. Him and his son looked such a lot alike and it hurt to look at him a bit. Poseidon glanced across the way to where Annabeth was crying into her mother's embrace and he took a shuddering breath. 

"He deserved better," Poseidon said, his voice scratchy. I nodded. I wasn't sure I could say anything around the lump in my throat.

Poseidon turned to look at me again. "Well, now that I'm free, I'll be needing to pay Sally a visit." His timid smile quivered and his eyes started watering again. "I had Hermes check and she's still alive. Her and her family are still living in New York. I don't suppose she's heard the news and I guess I owe it to her to deliver it myself. It started with the two of us...it's only fitting that it end that way too. I don't think I could stand seeing her again now that he's...gone. It's probably for the better. She's got her own family to think about now."

I nodded. Poseidon shook my hand. "Thanks for everything you did for him. I understand you two were good friends." My own tears threatened to fall. All I could seem to do was nod my head. 

Poseidon excused himself and crossed the Throne Room to where Athena and Annabeth were standing. Poseidon tapped Athena on the shoulder and she released Annabeth. Annabeth threw herself at Poseidon and he wrapped her in a hug as well, placing a gentle kiss on her head. "I'm sorry," I saw him say, too far away to hear him. 

And then he was gone. Piper grabbed my hand, wiping the tears from my eyes with a sad smile. "Let's head home, yeah?" 

"Yeah," I answered. And all together, the seven of us left Olympus.

^*^*^*^

Annabeth

I stood alone at the crest of Half-Blood Hill. Everyone else was waiting in the sky canoe a ways off, giving me the privacy I requested. 

I looked out across the valley, the place I called home for so many years. My eyes fell across the cabins, to the owl over the door to Cabin Six and the sea shells in the walls of Cabin Three. To the lava wall and the amphitheater, to the way the waves crashed on the beach. 

And there in the distance sat the Big House, it's four floors and baby blue walls so familiar yet so alien at the very same time. 

I could see him there, in his wheelchair on the porch. He was watching me from afar and I him. He looked a lot older than when I last saw him, more haggard looking. I couldn't see him clear enough, but I imagined the warm smile he would give me, the way his eyes would shine.

I smiled and gave a wave. He waved back. I took one last glance at Camp Half-Blood and turned to go, the salty smell of the sea and sweet strawberries on the breeze.

And for once, I didn't look back.

^*^*^*^

The end! Thank you all so much for all your support through the writing of this story! I enjoyed it so much and I love seeing all of your comments and votes! Thanks again and I hope you all have a wonderful day! Remember to vote and comment! Love you demigods:)