11 | à la adieu

𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐊 𝐌𝐄𝐃𝐈𝐂𝐀𝐋 𝐔𝐍𝐈𝐓

𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐊 𝐌𝐄𝐃𝐈𝐂𝐀𝐋 𝐔𝐍𝐈𝐓

𝐓𝐀𝐈𝐖𝐀𝐍 𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐕𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐄

TONY

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Amid the erratic state in the atmosphere, the genius man, to whom sleep had become dangerous borders, lay still behind the viewing screen of the intensive care unit and his gaze fixated on the slow rise and fall of Elle's lethargic self. There was a panic to him with the jump-leaps, his brain maturing into a flat battery and all the exertions winding into an irregular path to finding a solution to treat her.

They had force sedated Elle to examine her defects two hours ago and in order to lay low, he had his trusty friend, Happy chauffeur the ambulance to a meagre Stark-based sanatorium in the suburbs of the Taiwanese province. His first move was to contact Rhodey who had upon hearing the news, deserted Tabora in minutes and used his armour to travel past the continent to the allocated destination. He'd gotten an earful from Tony while performing his actions.

Rhodey had his hard eyes fall on Tony's stance, his gaze finally lifting to meet his friend's. His fast footfalls arrested to a halt a foot away, a little frightened to move ahead and witness the scene. Rhodey swore he saw the glassy look in them, his jugular bouncing intermittently as if the bad news were yet to come. The tall man flanked his best friend's side, their gazes straining on the unconscious body of the woman, the breath leaving his lips sharply.

'How is she?'

Tony answered a beat later. 'Alive.'

There wasn't more he could say because it was an inevitable truth. Tony found nothing else to say, his throat thickened with emotion. He fisted his anxiety-ridden palms on the side of his suit pants and taking in a heave. Rhodey reached out, clamping an assertive hand over his tense shoulder and squeezing down gently. No words were spoken after, knowing not to trouble the already troubled man.

'Mr Stark, may I have a moment please?'

Both the men snapped their gazes to the white-coated male who stood ahead of them with a glistening set of scans in his hands. Tony nodded at once, moving forward with a rake of his finger into his scalp and ready to heed the information.

'It's grim, I'll be honest.'

Tony found the strength to roll his eyes.

'Most of the damage is favourable to a minor. But, manageable,' he revealed, the tense silence between the duo yet to break. Because they knew the good news didn't always last. 'There's a lot of it. Add all the loss up, it raises her baseline trauma considerably. She cracked a few ribs, had a doozy hit and running a lifeline.'