💤

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Tony couldn't cry. 

Couldn't grieve or complain. For it was Elle that was lost and not gone. He was happy that it wasn't six feet of dirt that separated them but the mere eyes of hers that would drop shut until it was time. Even if she woke up right now, looked at him dead in the eye and told him whatever would hurt the most, he would at least watch his heart shatter with glee. 

He thought he could fix this. Fix her surgically, with his own remodelled arc-reactor, go through another round of medicines to wake her up. Adrenaline shots, electroencephalograph, deep brain stimulation: anything worth the term, he had it done in clicks of trices. The capital was the last thing on his mind when it came to recovery, going all out to help.

'Tony?' 

The voice came from the entrance, groggy from sleep. He willed his gaze from Elle's resting face to another similar face, who smiled at him warmly. She was in sleep-casuals, her even blonde hair hanging haphazardly around her shoulders. Madeline Preece was no different from Elle, knowing that all her characteristics had been gathered from her mother.

'G'morning, Maddie,' he whispered gruffly. 'Sorry, I just dropped by. It's... three, I think. I can't tell if it's morning or evening anymore.'

'It's eight pm, darling.'

He would've never approximated the time difference. 'Ah. We're in the future now. Ironic.'

'I have got to give her trim,' Maddie told him, 'don't you think?'

Tony looked back at Elle, watching the gradual rise and fall of her chest. She hadn't moved an inch from where Maddie had let her rest six hours ago to wipe her body clean and those wide, blue eyes still remaining a hidden treasure from the world. He was robbed of his breath when he saw her thin lips part, barely, plopping close once again. Her dark hair had indeed grown out, the once even copper strands that laid over her forehead starting to fall into her enclosed eyes.