Madness

Vic

Day 2

I groggily woke up to Mitch shaking me with a worried look on his face. My eyes were half way open when I sat up, and the pain in my ribs immediately pierced through my body.

Damn. Okay, that hurts.

I slowly ran the tips of my fingertips over my nose as felt something drip from it. Blood. My eyes widened in horror with realiziation. I quickly glanced at where I was, wiping my nose off with the sleeves of my now bloody, colorful hoodie.

I was pretty sure it was dark out now, from what I could make up from the cracks of the darkened windows in the bathroom... Thats when I realized--

I'm still here.

I had no idea for how long, but from the looks of it, it was late. Very late. Oh crap.

"Vic! It's about time you woke up kiddo! I was getting worried! It's 12:58, Its late, but you need to go see Carmen, like, now." Mitch echoed, helping me up.

I winced in pain, and held my breath as I stood up slowly. I was bleeding all over, my ribs were definately fractured or something. It wasn't so bad though, I've gotten worse beatings..but I really needed a doctor right now. My father never really cared where I went, or what I did anyway either. It didn't really matter. I don't matter.

"T-Thanks Mitch," I whispered, "C'mon.." I said, finding my now soaked bag in the trashcan as we walked out.

I pushed the restroom door open with as much force as I could manage, and started to walk into the dark hall. I was a mess. My hair was sticky and wet, and I smelled like shit. I held my ribs tightly, getting used to the numb feeling all over my body. I was exhausted. I felt as if I had been carrying a bag of bricks all day. My arms were shaking, and my legs could just barely hold up my small frame without giving out. We walked through the empty, unkept school, then out the back entrance, which was surprisingly open.

It was dark. There were no stars, no moon...the only sources of light were the dim lamposts along the street. I shivered, adjusting my wet hoodie. I took a deep breath, careful to avoid the pain in my ribs, but failed as I heard a small crunch. Fuck. As I exhaled, my breath was barely visible in the cold night, a tiny white cloud amongst the pitch black sky. It was cold, so very cold..not surprised though, it was April in Oregon. It was cold as hell..that didn't make sense Vic.

We were headed towards the hospital because my mother's friend, Carmen was a nurse, so I could go there without really paying. It was better for me, my family, albeit well known in our community for having a long line of skilled soccer players in the family,werent the wealthiest. I think you can already guess that by now, judging by the shit school that I attend. We silently walked along the sidewalk as I started to recall something that would mean so much to me. The last thing I remember before blacking out.

A month.

*******************************

"I wrapped you up the best I could Mijo. I'm so sorry this happened..It was Mike again wasn't it?" Carmen said sounding concerned. I nodded sadly, and looked at my shoes in defeat.

Carmen was as mexican as it gets. She had long, shiny black hair and dirt brown eyes. Her english was not the best, I'll admit, but she kinda reminded me of my mother before she stopped caring about everything.

Carmen sighed and walked out the room for a moment.

I've been visiting Carmen non-stop since I first started highschool. It started with just a bruise..then a black eye...and it eventually turned into-well- this. It was alright though, since then Carmen has given me the best treatment there is, free of charge while I begged her not to do anything on the subject. She knows about my mother's condition, and that I get bullied alot, but not much more. She's the only person who actually cares about my well being, despite the fact that she's a nurse. Its her job.