5 - Bioluminescent Atlantean Prince

We stood at the edge of a small lake. Thick tropical foliage obscured the opposite shore.

An elaborate calling ceremony began with pounding drums and song. Zelda stood to my left. Raimee to my right. Jhady pressed against her father's side like melted cheese on beans. Flower petals were cast over the glassy surface.

When bubbles appeared moving in our direction, all grew silent, even the birds and monkeys stopped chattering.

Zelda's breath caught when a blue-grey, be-gilled head rose from the water like a bioluminescent Atlantean Prince.

Following the locals, we dropped to our knees, sinking into warm, soft mud. Supplicants displayed their offerings before them.

We could tell he recognized us when his purposeful footsteps halted; his head swiveled in our direction.

The party leader stood, calling the creature's attention.

"He knows you!" Raimee stated clearly in English.

"Where's Elisa?" Zelda whispered vehemently.

In my peripheral vision, I watched our scaly friend picking his way through the line, accepting gifts and laying webbed hands on heads, feet, and other places the petitioners extended for inspection.

The expressions of those he skipped turned to masks of disappointment. I wondered at his choices, did he not care for their gifts?

As he got closer, he seemed distracted.

Jhady was next in line. The River God dismissed her. Raimee's face crumbled, "Not again!" he cried.

"Wait!" I called, even though Zelda pounded on my arm.

Standing, I held out my basket. Mewling sounds came from inside.

Aqua Man's gills flared. I think that's as close as he gets to smirking.

"I remembered," I said looking him full in the face. "I was going to ask for more hair, but I'd rather you heal this little girl."

When he pointed to my basket, signing the word for, 'funny,' Zelda and I glanced at each other, grinning.

Aqua Man returned his attention to Raimee's girl.

Peeling her away, Raimee thrust her forward, admonishing, "Sé quieto!"

Clawed, webbed hands cradled the girl's face. The River God remained in that position longer than he had with any other pilgrim. The girl's frightened utterings echoed the kitten cries. When he pulled away, he dropped to his knees, hanging his head.

'Leave us,' Aqua Man signed.

In the awkward moment when no one but Zelda and me knew what he wanted, Zelda took care of business. "He said you should all go now. Va! Va!" she shooed.

Before the pilgrims departed, Raimee approached us. "My Jhady is beautiful again!" Tears coursed down his faces. He grabbed Zelda's hand kissing it. Thanking me profusely, bowing to the River God, he backed away.

When he could stand, Aqua Man led us to a vine-choked path. The going was slow. He grunted as he pulled at the stalks, making room our burros to pass. I tried helping, but he waved me away.

I had a waking nightmare that the jungle was a many-pointed sea star grasping and suffocating everything in its path.