7 - The Child will Have no Friends

Zelda joined Elisa in her small garden picking vegetables for our meal. I sat inside, observing. Sketchpad in hand, I let my pencil capture the scene.

Long shadows, two women wearing large straw hats, their heads together. I couldn't draw the feminine laughter but wished I could capture it artistically. Their voices carried.

"How long till Iggy comes back?"

Elisa straightened, raising a hand to her brow, looking out over the water. "He'll be gone for a while. Those ceremonies take a lot out of him. He needs to go down deep to feel restored. He's worried about the baby and me," she rubbed the base of her spine, "so he hasn't gone as far as he should. With you here, he can take as long as he needs."

"Honey," Zelda came to stand beside her, "are you worried about—" she nodded at Elisa's middle.

Elisa faced away from me, but I could see Zelda's expression. In all honesty, I'm glad it wasn't me out there voicing the questions that were on our minds.

They moved into the shade, sitting close. Zelda's arm wrapped protectively around her dearest friend.

"My child— if it lives. If we both live, won't have any friends," Elisa cried.

"If it lives?" Of course, it's going to live, and so are you! As for friends—that baby already has four people who love it."

"It," Elisa repeated, letting the word hang in the air.

Elisa leaned into Zelda; they huddled together. "I'm so glad you are here, Zeldy."

"Me too baby girl!"

Our days became predictable; meals, naps, tending the burros and the garden. For the first time, in possibly decades, I was relaxed and at peace. I noticed, with pleasure, that I'd lost track of the days of the week.

One afternoon, Elisa and I were sitting at the table sipping tea. I'd just finished telling her about the inquiries, the search for bodies, and apologizing for getting rid of all her things. She patted my arm.

"Thank you for taking care of everything. That phase of my life is dead, you did the right thing."

When Elisa noticed my eyes rapidly blinking, her mouth turned down. She used to read me like a book. I think her skills in that department had deteriorated.

"Take a good look at me, Giles." She stretched out a leg. Hiking up her skirt, revealing a creamy thigh, and areas covered with translucent scales.

Across the room, Zelda stirred from a siesta, yawning. Swinging her feet to the floor, she hurried over.

Elisa slipped off her shoes spreading her toes. Holding up her hands, she held her fingers wide. Webbing filled all the spaces.

We couldn't contain our surprise.

Elisa bit her lip; she looked as if she was holding back a smile. Making sure we were looking at her face, she blinked with a set of inner eyelids. They moved vertically from the corners of her eyes toward the bridge of her nose.

"Mary, Mother of Jesus!" Zelda exclaimed, placing a hand over her heart. She puffed up, "I get that gilly thing," she waved a finger at Elisa's neck. He had to give you those when he took you in the water and healed your gunshot wound. But he dragged you all the way out here to the middle of the jungle, and he knocked you up," Zelda's voice was gaining volume, her gestures taking up more air space. "Then he leaves you all alone when you're about ready to drop that kid—" Zelda paused when Elisa started repeating her tirade in sign language. Like a statue, Zelda rotated ninety degrees on her toes.

Iglootoo stood in the doorway, dripping, a puddle forming at his feet. 'I did not change her or heal her,' he said in the silent language spoken with his flipper hands.

One of the kittens scampered in around his ankles. Lightning fast, he pounced. Zelda and I jumped. Striding across the room, handing the cat to me, he kneeled at my side, bowing his head. I patted him, remembering the first time he'd encountered a house cat.