43

"I thought he loved me," Harry said for the umpteenth time, wiping tears from his face. "Or at least liked me."

Hermione sighed and handed him a bottle of butterbeer. "He does, Harry," she said. "You don't know what happened. It could've been an accident."

Ron snorted derisively and she gave him a sharp look. "What? Ferret got your tongue?" he bit.

"And just what," she snapped, "is your problem? It was all fine and dandy when Harry first told you he liked Draco, but now all of a sudden he's back to being the worst person to exist?"

"I never liked the Ferret," Ron said. "But Harry did and I wanted to be supportive. But now? To Hell with him! He hurt Harry and you're focused on the possibility that he didn't mean to instead of the fact that he did!"

"Well I'm sorry that I'm the only one being logical about this!"

"And I'm sorry I'm the only person thinking about our history with Ferret Face!"

"Stop calling him that."

Ron and Hermione turned to a glaring Harry and immediately shut their mouths. Harry took another sip of his butterbeer and stood up. "Stop calling him that, Ron," he repeated. "I'm gonna go and get some fresh air."

He stepped outside of the Burrow and took a deep breath, checking his phone. He saw that he had five unopened messages and seven missed calls from Draco and sighed, slipping his cell back into his pocket. He walked further away, until he couldn't hear the clanging from the kitchen or the soft 80's music from Bill's radio. He sat down in front of a large oak and sighed, taking off his glasses and rubbing his face.

"Goddamn," he breathed.

He lazily started picking at pieces of grass until he heard the soft roar of an engine from behind him. He turned and saw Luna stepping out of her ancient 1967 Impala. She spotted him quickly and headed over. She was wearing a blue nightgown, a flower crown, and no shoes, Harry noted. She sat down beside him and started humming.

"Harry," she said quietly. "Do you know that the palm of your hand tells a lot about you?" She grabbed his hand and pointed to a line leading up to his middle finger. "This here is your heart line. See?" She dragged her finger up the line so gently it tickled. "It looks like you're in love. But wait," she pressed down on his hand and it turned first yellow, then red. "You're hurting, aren't you?" she asked. Harry nodded mutely.

She hummed quietly. "Why?" she asked. "Because of Theodore?"

"Yeah," he said. "He kissed Draco."

"And you love him." It wasn't a question.

"I do."

She hummed again. "So what are you going to do about it?" she asked. "Are you going to talk to him?" She tapped the middle of his palm. "I'm quite sure you're brave. Your palm says so."

His throat worked silently as he contemplated her words. What would he do? Was he brave enough to face Draco without seeing his lips pressed against Theo's again? What if Draco really didn't love him? What would he do then? He was brought back from his thoughts by a thumb pressed into his wrist.

"Would you like to see something?" said Luna.

"Sure."

She wordlessly pulled out her wand and tapped his thumb, his ring finger, his wrist, and his heart. Two glowing red rings appeared around his thumb and a red string led out of his ring finger.

"Its a soulmate spell," she said. "These two rings represent your parents. That means they're dead. Don't worry. I have one too." She directed her wand to the string. "This one leads to your soulmate. The spell's based off old wizarding folklore. Some people say it's not real and the strings don't really mean anything."

Harry nodded. "What do you think?"

She smiled slightly and kissed him on the cheek, standing up and cancelling the spell. "Expecto Patronum," she whispered. "Go and get Ginny please, thank you." She pet her little hare gently and  sent it off.

"I think they haven't found the other end of their string yet. But it's a fun pastime," she said just as Ginny stepped out of the Burrow.

She smiled and ran to Luna, kissing her deeply. Harry looked away, the sight of them being in love too painful to bear. Tears pricked his eyes and he blinked a few times to prevent them from falling.

Ginny and Luna walked back to her car, hand in hand. "No one really knows," Luna said. She stepped into her car and looked at him one last time. "I think you should call Draco. Your string was very bright. I think he's in distress," she said. Then she started her car and drove off.

Harry bit his lip and picked his phone back up. He opened all the messages and sighed.

In a chat with dlmalfoyy

dlmalfoyy
Harry wait

dlmalfoyy
It isnt what it looked
like I swear to god

dlmalfoyy
So help me, I will
march over to the
Weasleys' and make
you listen

dlmalfoyy
Harry please you know
I love you

dlmalfoyy
Harry