Chapter Ten

Monday, I got to school five minutes earlier than usual, because today I was on a mission. I saw Josh's car in the lot, and I knew he was here, the question was, where was he?

After five minutes of searching dilligently, I found him in the cafeteria. He was eating one of our schools famous chocolate chip muffins, the only decent food product sold in this building.

"We need to talk" I said, plopping down next to him.

He jumped slightly at my sudden appearance, and I raised my eyebrows at him. He quickly hid his surprise and stared at me, straight faced.

"About?" He asked nonchalantly.

"You know what about" I rolled my eyes.

Chloe had come to my house Friday night hysterical crying because Josh decided that they needed to take a break. My duty as best friend, and as someone who was partially responsible, was to find out what he was thinking about all of it.

"Serena" He sighed, "You don't have to worry about me and Chloe's relationship"

"It's partially my fault" I said, guilt seeping into my voice.

"C'mon Serena, no it's not" He said lightly, "She told me she basically dragged you into the building"

Damn her. Why must she always be so honest?

"That's so Chloe" I laughed sadly.

"I know" He said, sad smile appearing on his face.

There was a comfortable silence for a moment while the atmosphere switched from relaxed to intense.

"Just tell me, do you think it's over for good?" I asked, softly.

"I don't know, Serena" He answered, seriously.

"Do you still love her?" I asked, worried.

"Of course" He replied.

"Isn't that all that matters?" I pleaded, wide eyed.

"C'mon Serena, you know the answer to that" Josh said quietly, "No, it isn't"

"Why can't it be?" I stomped my foot, irritably.

He chuckled lightly at my stubborn, childish antics, before his face fell naturally back into a slight frown.

"I can't trust her" He admitted, "And you know as well as I do that trust is everything"

We both knew that that was a reference to my love life as well as his. I took a second before collecting my thoughts and focusing back on Josh and Chloe.

"Please, just think about the good stuff, okay?" I begged, "I'd hate you guys to call it quits over something that was my fault"

"Serena" He sighed.

"Just- just don't make any rash decisions, okay?" I asked, getting up and walking away before he could say another word.

I didn't see Chloe until lunch time. I met her at the usual spot, which was weird because it had originally started as Grayson's spot and now neither boy was there.

"How you holding up?" I asked her, handing her a chocolate chip cookie.

"Great" She deadpanned, rubbing her makeupless eyes. She looked pale, and the bags under her eyes indicated that she didn't sleep much this weekend either.

"I'm so sorry" I said, genuinely.

"It was completely my decision, S, so you need to stop apologizing" She said, calmly, "Did you talk to him?"