Outsider

CRAIG:

Sat beside Alex on a flowerbed wall in Steph's garden is exactly how I'd spent her last house party, too. A beer in hand, relaxing into the surrounding fun, it's as close as I ever feel to my old self, and it's pleasant.

There is one very significant complication to my smooth enjoyment of tonight, though. And it comes in the form of a somebody who had been a nobody to me those few short weeks ago, up until he'd drunkenly mouthed off at Alex in this same spot and made his spectacular declaration.

Mikey spouted shit he had no right knowing about me, unaware he was saying it directly to my face. He admitted kissing Tate. But far worse was that he'd come to the party with Lyndsay that night, and his proud Coming Out speech to a crowd of peers had been immeasurably crueller than anything I've ever done to her.

"It was my mouth attacking his," I remember his words. "Mine. And here's something else for you: I liked it!"

Now I'm watching Lyndsay link an arm through his and lead him across the garden while Derek, her oh-so-protective cousin, waves them off without the remotest hint of disapproval."You're necking them a bit fast tonight, aren't you?"

I don't know when Steph joined us, but as I lower my bottle and drag my eyes away from their covert tracking, there she is at Alex's other side, leaning around him to study me. "And it's good to see you, too, Stephanie."

"I mean, I fully appreciate your generous contribution to our bar," she grins, "but please don't feel the need to work your way through it singlehandedly."

"You need to slow it down, bro," Alex chips in, eying me like he's only now thought to be concerned.

"This is only my second."

Swiping the beer from my hand, he gives the dregs a shake. "Yeah, and you opened it less than five minutes ago." The bottle is tossed onto the lawn. "You've got Roxy with you, remember?"

Of course, I remember. My best intentions left the house with me this evening.

"Oooh," Steph trills. "We should take her out for a drive!"

"And abandon your own birthday party?"

"Sure," she shrugs at me, her gaze coy on Alex. "I have complete faith you lot will keep it tame in our absence."

I turn away from them. "Hardly seems wise."

Mikey and Lyndsay have disappeared inside the house, but I spot Ashleigh and return her wave as she dances past me. Pink hair flaring, grin razor-sharp, she holds me in her sights for longer than I'm comfortable with. Having dodged her advances twice already, I'm relieved when she makes no attempt at a third. A group I recognise from the YCS athletics team beckons to her, and she shimmies on by.

Steph's whispered murmurings have me fully prepared for what follows from my brother a minute later.

"So, can we borrow your car?"

"I think not."

"For ten minutes?"

"Still, no."

It's obviously the answer they both anticipated because neither one pushes it further. Instead, Steph stands and holds her hand out for Alex. "Fend for yourself for half an hour then, while I entertain your brother, here, in other ways."

Also not a surprise, but my grimace is entirely the reaction she hoped for. "Half an hour? What you going to do with those extra twenty minutes?"