Restraint

CRAIG:

I park Roxy up on the grassy verge at the side of the road a little before the turn-in to the farmhouse. Continuing around to the driveway and across it on foot to the shed, I pray that no one has thought to check and lock up. My backpack weighs heavily on my shoulders and clanks too loud for my liking with every step.

The hour is unsociably late — or early, depending on perspective — and I see no lights in any of the house's windows as I pass by. Nor do I see Judy's car, and I idly wonder if perhaps Sebastian is staying out tonight, with Brianna.

Reaching the shed, a sigh of relief escapes me to find the padlock on the doors still hanging loose. I step inside, pulling the cord for the naked bulb hanging from the rafters, and drop my bag to my feet with a thud when the dim light exposes everything to be exactly how I left it a couple of hours ago.

I've had a worthwhile trip to the Pit. Scotty came through for me on the parts I asked him to source. And now, I find I just can't bear the thought of holding out until tomorrow afternoon to fit them, to see if I've called it right.

After enduring an unsettling interrogation, some ribbing, and a great deal of bartering to keep my car out of the exchange, I'm six-ton in on this project. I daresay Sebastian would disapprove of the investment, but I don't intend on telling him. If I can pull this off and get his damn truck running, it'll be money well spent just to see the scepticism flayed from his sanctimonious face. 

There's not a chance in hell I'm willing to admit defeat on this.

I take off my jacket, hanging it on a peg inside the doors, and retrieve the overalls I left dumped on the Ranger's bonnet. Slipping them on over my jeans and shirt, I cross back to my bag.

"Craig?" Judy's voice whips me up from my crouch with dizzying abruptness, my heart left behind down by my feet. "I thought you'd left hours ago. It's three in the morning."

"Oh." I turn to find her frowning at me, wrapped in her red nightgown, feet shoved into a pair of unlaced black boots. "I, uh, just forgot something. Did I wake you?"

The pinch to her brow softens in the warmth of a smile. "No," she shakes her head. "Working nights has my sleeping pattern all out of whack. I was about to make myself some cocoa when I saw the light come on out here. Care to join me for a mug?"

"Uh..."

"Please? I'd appreciate the company."

I want to say no. "Sure."

Beaming, she pushes one of the doors open wide and steps out, holding it for me. The overalls have yet to even warm to my body heat when they're shirked back off, discarded on the floor. I dart one last look at the truck before I turn off the light and pass by her into the bitter night air.

And I immediately stiffen as Judy takes hold of my arm. "This isn't your way of detaining me until the police arrive, is it?"

Her laugh chimes a melodic chord over the sound of gravel skittering around our tread. "Sebastian invited you, did he not?"

"I guess, but —"

"There's little enough here worth stealing, on any count."

It's not without effort that I refrain from dislodging her touch. "I don't think he intended to give me the freedom to come and go as I please."

She bows her head in acknowledgement but says nothing more until we're approaching the back door. Then, "Sebastian has inherited quite a burden for one so young." Halting to extract the key from her gown pocket, hand releasing my arm, her face lifts to me. "His uncle's passing was by no means sudden. But the responsibility left to him alongside that loss, it was more than anyone could be expected to prepare for." I can only gape as she unlocks the door and opens it for us. "The boy is proud, and he's stubborn, and Lord knows, he makes me worry. He accepts very little help, and that he's letting you do this for him, Craig, it's no small thing."