Soulmate: Story

I sat behind the wall, bored to tears as I waited for the next potential civilian soulmate to stick their hand into my room to shake.

This was the fifth year I had participated in the monthly civilian handshake event that the Soulmate Department set up, making this my sixtieth event. I started going when I was eighteen years old at the prompting of my bandmates. Now at twenty-three I was losing hope.

At first they were fun, exciting, and interesting. I enjoyed the thrill of that potential meeting of my soulmate. But as the years passed and as I grew older that thrill turned into fear.

Fear that I would grow old alone, or worse be targeted because I was famous and well known, and be stuck with someone who only cared about my position, and not me as a person.

I kept my soulmate status hidden from the public as a general rule, but with my other members slowly coming out and introducing their soulmates to the world one by one, I knew it was only a matter of time before I was the only one left.

I had joined Big Hit entertainment at a very young age as a trainee. I worked extremely hard to debut as part of BTS and wouldn't change anything about my past, because it made me who I was today. I was glad all our hard work paid off in the end making us arguably the most successful K-pop idols and artists worldwide. I was proud of our members, proud of our ARMY, and proud of how far we had come.

The only thing that held me back was the issue of my soulmate.

Having such hectic schedules made it very hard for us to find time to meet our soulmates, or if we already had one, spend time with them. That's why early on Bang PD-nim told us even before we debuted that there were some stipulations about soulmates that we would have to work out.

Hearing that initially scared me because many other companies would force their idols to say away from their soulmates, or not try to find them during their contracts because it could be damaging to the group as a whole if one member left because of their soulmate.

But I didn't give our representative enough credit.

PD-nim was truly a rare soul and unique individual with so much wisdom, vision, ingenuity, and personality. But his most remarkable trait was his kindness, and how he truly cared about us, not only as a group, but also as individuals.

If BTS were my brothers without being truly related, and Big Hit as a company was my other family, then PD-nim was both my role model, and my surrogate father.

The biggest rule that Bang PD-nim laid down was that our soulmates came first in our lives, then ourselves, then the band, and then the company. I really appreciated how much PD-nim cared about us as individuals and recognized that without our soulmates in our lives we would be miserable, our music and work would be affected, and as a byproduct the company would be affected as well.

Out of the seven of us, four had found their soulmates even before debut. Jin had met his soulmate Nari when he was really young, and they had been engaged for a few years already back when we first debuted. Six years later and they were happily married, out to the public, and she spent all her time as a makeup artist traveling with us on tour and during our schedules.

Yoongi also had met his soulmate Yuri when he was younger, and even though they still had not taken that step to move past the boyfriend and girlfriend stage, they were also out to the public as a soulmate couple. Seeing how she went to school for fashion, Yuri now worked for Big Hit as a stylist and she was super involved with our clothing options for concerts and photo shoots.

The other two members were actually a surprise to all of us. Taehyung and Jungkook found out almost immediately as trainees that they were each other's soulmates.