Knowledge

TRIGGER WARNINGS: Referenced major character death, I guess kind of referenced euthanasia/murder-suicide?, you might have to learn new words, SAD ENDING

"This will really stop me from hearing the voice?" the girl tentatively asked the doctor while staring at the small white pill in her hand. The doctor scoffed lightly, thinking the girl's trepidation to be irksome.

"Yes, you'll never hear her again after this." The girl have a reactionary jump, causing the doctor to falter slightly before attempting to dissemble kindness and open helpfulness once again, but he knew it was no longer tenable as the girl stared him in the eyes.

"I never mentioned that the voice was female..." After that major metaphorical welt, I am sure you, dear reader, are quite confused. In order to amend this, however, we must amalgamate this story with another a flotilla if years older, millennia even.

Long ago, when humanity was still young, the gods made a collection of magical artifacts meant to test humanity. These objects could transcend dimensional barriers, wreaking chaos, to test different versions of humanity, separating the immutable from the resilient. Much of humanity passed these tests, destroying almost all of the artifacts. One of these surviving artifacts is the Minavala, the Mind Ring. The Minavala has the power to grant the wearer limitless knowledge, making everyone else subaltern in intelligence. But as Nirasa, the subject of our story, will learn, knowledge always comes at a price.

Nirasa's story starts on a trip to the beach with her class. Well, her story started when she was born, but the part we care about started on this trip. The entire bus ride Nirasa was forced to listen to her classmates prattle on about the beach and the tan the would get as the teacher as well as the entire male population doted on Kuleana, the rich, popular captain of the cheer squad. When the group finally arrived at the beach, Nirasa quickly separated from the group to find a hermitage by the rocks. She stumbled across the ragged entrance of a cave and felt immediately drawn to it. She followed the pull until she came to a large cavern with a single stalagmite in the middle. The stalagmite appeared to have been cut, creating a flat top about three inches in diameter. The mysterious force that had drawn her into and through the rough cave seemed to be coming from the makeshift pedestal. Entranced, she walked forward until she reached the pedestal. Sitting innocently on the pedestal was a dull gray ring with faint engravings. It was probably beautiful when it was new, Nirasa mused, all shining silver with an intricate design. Now, Nirasa was not normally one to wear jewelry, but something about this ring called out to her. She grabbed the ring and walked out of the cave, tucking it into her pocket for her to clean later. Upon exiting the cave, Nirasa saw Jerome, the class president. When he saw her, he approached her.

"Mx. Alonso has to supervise the rest of the class so she sent me as her proxy to find you. It's time for lunch." Nirasa went to lunch and about her day, the ring weighing heavily in her pocket and in her mind.

After another dreadful bus ride filled with annoying teenage chatter, Nirasa finally got home to the sanctuary of her bedroom. Alone at last, she took the dull ring out of her pocket and examined it closely once again. 'My mother has silver polisher with her jewelry, if I remember correctly,' Nirasa thought. She quickly went to her parents' room and to her mother's vanity. After a minute and a half of digging, she held the silver polisher in the air in triumph. 'Found it!'

Nirasa sat on her bed, mesmerized, as the cloth and small amount of polish wiped away the dull gray with each swipe, revealing the intricately carved bright silver beneath. Before long, there was no trace of the dull gray the ring once was; the beautiful silver ring looked as if it was glowing. Nirasa put the ring on her finger slowly, carefully, delicately, as though she were in a trance. The moment the ring was snug around the base of her left middle finger, a slightly gravely, yet still distinctly female voice spoke in her head; a voice Nirasa had never heard before.

"At last," the voice spoke in Nirasa's head. "Hello young girl. That is a beautiful ring you have on your finger."

"Wha-?!" Nirasa startled. "Who are you?!"

"Ah, you might actually show some promise," the voice mused.

"What do you mean?"Nirasa asked fearful and weary. "And you didn't answer my question."

"Ah, yes. Forgive me young one. I am Dazverva."

"What do you want from me?"

"It is not what I want from you, it is what you want from me. I can give you limitless knowledge."

"Really?"

"Yes. Your life will be amazing. You only need to do as I instruct."

"Okay..." Nirasa was quite unsure of the whole situation, but she went along with it anyway.

"What is your name, young one?"

"My name is Nirasa," Nirasa said not knowing that it would be her fatal mistake. And so was Nirasa's life for the next six months, forced to listen to the invective voice every second of every day, until she could not take it anymore. She found Dr. Richard Evers, a psychiatrist who could supposedly cure free her from Dazverva; and that, dear reader, brings us back to where we started.

"This will really stop me from hearing the voice?" Nirasa asked Dr. Evers, ready and willing to do anything to rid her of Dazverva. Dr. Evers scoffed.

"Yes, you'll never hear her again after this." Nirasa jumped; Dr. Evers faltered.

"I never mentioned that the voice was female..."

"Uh... Er... Well, you're a young girl, and statistically speaking, it's more likely that the voice would be female-" the doctor rambled on.

"Stop," Nirasa interrupted him. "I don't care for your excuses. I know that it will kill me." The doctor sat frozen in shock. She could have told someone—her phone was in her pocket; she could have sullied his name, he would be despoiled, stripped of his title and his practice, but she was desperate to be free.

You see Nirasa was a seemingly inimitable young girl, But even she fell victim to the malevolent ring's depredation. Such was the Minavala's test.

~~~~~~A/N~~~~~~

Hello there! This is the first of the AP Lang stories. There are 20 vocabulary words in here. They are all ACT Prep words. If you want to play a game with these AP Lang ones to guess the vocab words, that might be fun. So prompts! Both are from Author's Ink, the creative writing club at my school. It's one of the three clubs I'm in. The others are Baking Club and GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance, now Gender-Sexuality Alliance). So the first is cursed item(s). The second is:

So what else to say? This is derived from the same Book of Reality AU/Book AU by Minkeroo that I just made a new item for

So what else to say? This is derived from the same Book of Reality AU/Book AU by Minkeroo that I just made a new item for. I hope you enjoyed.

Write to you later my kittens!

~KittyDitzyDance