This is not The End; It is Just the Start

I have lived for a very long time now. I am old and weak. Because of my old age, I've grown senile. Not only that, but I also suffered a devastating injury that left me unfit for battle. Any young and promising dragon can most certainly kill me now. Other creatures might even have a chance against me. I now long for solitude and a quiet place to spend the rest of my life.

I traveled on the frozen mountains in search for a warm cave. After a few days of searching, I found a cave, and it's right next to a human village on fire. Wait... a village is on fire?! I wonder what happened. I personally have nothing to do with humans, so I guess I should just ignore it. However... life doesn't always go the way you expect it to be.

When I arrived at the cave, I found two bodies lying on the ground. Are they villagers who ran away and took shelter here? They're covered in cloth. Probably to keep warm from the cold. I unwrap the cloth. It's a woman tightly holding a baby boy. I don't sense life from the woman anymore. The baby, on the other hand, is barely clinging to its life.

I had the option to just let the baby die. It was an option. A decision. But... I didn't choose it. Instead, I shared a part of my soul and fused it into the baby. After a while, the baby started crying. It's a sign that it's alive and well. I had no idea what came over me when I saved the baby. I could've just left it there to die. But, I didn't...

I ended up taking care of a human child. After years, the child grew, and I also grew attached to him. I taught the child everything he needed to know about survival. But, since I had given him a part of my soul, before this child reaches the age of 10... I will surely be no more.

On the child's ninth birthday, I confessed to him everything about his past. And, everything about my current situation. The child was not pleased and started yelling at me. I can tell that he was both sad and angry. I can sense a hint of shock, grief, loneliness, and frustration within him. He is frustrated not at me, but at himself since he can't do anything to help me. What can I do to soothe the child?

"Little One. I shall die now."

"What? No! You can't! You can't leave me now! Not now! Not yet!"

"Do not be sad, Little One. Consider this my gift to congratulate you for your ninth birthday."

"No... No...! No!"

"I will become a part of you. By turning my entire being into life energy, I will merge with your soul and live within you. We may never see each other again, but know this. I will always be with you."

"Father!"

I started glowing and turned my body into light particles. I made each and every light particle enter the child. With this, the child will probably obtain unparalleled powers that are beyond human comprehension. But, that is for the child to decide what to do with the powers he now has. From here on out, I will be watching over you.

I see you are still crying. Once you have gotten over the pain and sorrow of losing a loved one, the next step of your life's journey is not that far ahead. Take that step, Little One. Move on with your life. The time you spent with me are now memories that you will forever treasure. Whatever you do with your life, I want you to be happy in the end.

[A.N: My dog died when I wrote this 😭 😭 😭]