Chapter 6

Chris's POV

She's beautiful.

That's the only thing that kept running through my mind. Her beauty was like the sparkling moon on a dark night. Ever since I saw her again after 8 years, my thoughts have been running loose. I tried to tell myself that she was like my sister, a girl I babysat as a teenager, but one look at her and all hell breaks loose.

I shook my head to get rid of those thoughts. I knew if she ever found out what I was thinking about her, she would run for the hills, something I couldn't afford. All my life, I have been extremely protective of her. The years we spent apart, no matter what went down, she always occupied a part of my mind. Every once in a while, I would think of her. That girl always fascinated me. I remember when I left her to move to Los Angeles, she was heartbroken. It took all my strength to stick to my decision and not go running back to her. I remember she would call me and ask me when I would return. Had I forgotten her? Never, I would reply. The calls stopped coming as she grew up and that bothered me. But I knew she was growing up and needed her own space. I wouldn't interfere in that. So I kept to myself and always prayed for her wellbeing. All those times, I always thought whatever I did for her, my adoration and protectiveness for her was brotherly. But seeing her after 8 years, I wasn't so sure of my feelings anymore.

"Chris! Are you coming to join us son?" My Mom called out to me. I came out of my reverie and looked at the table sat at our backyard. The Sarma's were already seated and everyone was waiting for me. I took a look at the chairs and felt giddy when I saw the one near Jasmine unoccupied. God! I was behaving like a love struck teenager! Snap out of it Chris!!

I mentally scolded myself and walked towards the table. I took the seat beside her, never once moving my eyes from her. I knew I was acting like a creep but I couldn't help. She visibly tensed at our close proximity but soon relaxed.

Soon the table was filled with chatter and laughter. Everyone was enjoying the lunch. Jasmine would speak now and then when someone addressed her, but mostly kept silent. She was still shy around new people. In our case, she hardly remembers me and my parents.

The last thought brought a pang to my heart. I wanted her to remember me. But she didn't. She just knew me to be a mere babysitter. But I wasn't just a mere babysitter dammit! I was more than that. I was her favourite.

The lunch was almost over when a loud ringing noise cut through the atmosphere. Jasmine quickly picked up her phone and blushing slightly, smiled apologetically at us.

"I'm sorry. I'll just take this call and come back soon." She said as she got up and walked away. I had a strong urge to go after her but controlled myself.

She was gone for quite sometime but when she returned she was slightly fidgeting.

"What's wrong Princess?" I asked and saw her blush at my use of the endearment. I always called her that and couldn't just let go of it. It suited her perfectly.

She avoided my eyes and looked at her parents. "Jasper called. He purchased 2 tickets for the new movie. Can I go? He will be picking me up in 15 minutes." She said and gave her parents a puppy dog look.

God! How could anyone resist that look! I could never resist it and was damn sure neither could her parents. But I didn't want her to go. Call me overprotective but I never liked her hanging out with other boys. I remember once when she was 7, a boy in her school had pushed her on a puddle of muddy water. And what did she do? She threw a stone at him. Typical Jasmine.

But she did cry after her fall. Her dress was all ruined and she scrapped her knee. Since then I never liked her hanging around with boys. And now the emotion was heightened ten times as I saw how beautiful she had grown up into. I knew boys would be lining up behind her and for some reason, that thought bothered me. I didn't like the idea of it.

"Of course sweetheart. As long as he brings you home back on time." Mr Sarma's voice pulled me out of my thoughts. His voice was stern as well as amused. Jasmine squealed with delight and thanked her dad before turning around to run to her house.

But suddenly she turned around and came back with a sheepish smile.

"Oh where are my manners! I'm soo sorry Mr and Mrs Robinson for going out but I hope you don't mind." She said and took a look at me, as if to convey the message to me as well without exchanging actual words with me. I sighed with frustration.

"Sure sweetie! Go ahead." My Mom said and Jasmine thanked her before rushing back to her house. I just kept staring behind her.

After lunch was over, I stealthily excused myself from the parents to go check on Jasmine. As I turned the corner into her front lawn, I saw her standing few feet away, talking animatedly with a guy few inches taller than her. She was dressed in a pair of tight skinny jeans and a black tshirt. She looked good. The guy couldn't keep his eyes away from her and his look told me how much he cared for her. That thought somehow angered me.

Before I could say or do anything, the boy took a hold of her hand and walked towards a car standing on the driveway. She slightly blushed at the contact and I clenched my hands into fists.

How dare the bastard took a hold of my Jasmine's hand?

WOAH! My Jasmine? Where the hell did that come from?

And in that moment, as the car drove away leaving me behind with my dangerous thoughts, I knew I was royally screwed.