Maya

Did you forgetThat I was even aliveDid you forgetEverything we ever hadDid you forgetDid you forget'Bout me~Demi Lovato, Don't Forget

Did you forget
That I was even alive
Did you forget
Everything we ever had
Did you forget
Did you forget
'Bout me
~Demi Lovato, Don't Forget.

I told myself that I wouldn't be that girl. That I wouldn't be the girl who falls apart after she found out her boyfriend of two years had cheated.

I wouldn't cry or stuff myself with ice cream and chocolate or binge watch every cliche teen movie starting with John Tucker Must Die, going all the way down to Mean girls.

But that's exactly what I did.

And I hate to admit it but I was dully satisfied when Regina George got hit by a bus at the end and when John Tucker finally got a taste of his own medicine because seeing someone else in pain was far better than thinking about my own.

I know, that's a little sadistic and in all honesty, I would never wish any of those things onto anyone, really. Not even him. Not even her.

They hurt me by what they did but in all honesty, what hurt the most was how much I still wanted him.

I missed him.

And the fact that they still had each other after all this while I was left here hurt and all alone bit all the more.

"You are so pathetic." I whispered to myself.

Major, my brown Great Dane looked up at me curiously. He stood beside my bed, resting his head on my knee.

Even my dog didn't know how to comfort me in this broken state.

I patted his head as if to tell him he tried his best but nothing could make me feel better now.

I pressed play on my iPod and heard Adele sing out another classic about finding another lover who reminded her of her first.

Could I get any more cliche?

I thought of Daniel as the song played. There was no finding anyone even remotely like Daniel. There was no way anyone out there could exist who knew that I had four different favourite flavours of ice cream depending on the weather or the fact that I would rather eat dirt than agree to eat anything with raisins in it.

He knew all my likes and dislikes, he knew me. And I thought I knew him. But apparently not.

I stared at my phone which I had turned off. The last thing I needed was to hear from either of them. I didn't want explanations or excuses, I wanted to be sad and miserable and alone.

I got off my bed, pushing away the mountain pile of used tissues that had accumulated on my bed.
Don't judge me, I'm not proud.

I slipped my feet into my Bugs Bunny slippers and trudged my feet across the floor making my way out the door.

My house was quiet and mostly dark and I was grateful for that.

I knew for a fact that I'd be hounded by my father and little brother if they were here right now. They would ask me millions of questions about why I was crying and threaten to hunt down and hurt whoever hurt me. And quite frankly, I could do without all that. It would only make me feel worse.

So thank God for my father's navy buddies annual camping trip and an extra thanks to God for the fact that I could get out of it by simply telling my father it was 'that time of the month'.

Being a woman was the only weapon I needed against men sometimes.

I trudged down the stairs, making my way to the kitchen, Major trailed closely behind.
Poor dog, usually I'm more animated around him and ready to keep him entertained but I wasn't at all in the mood today so we were both miserable.

"Ow!" I yelped causing Major to freeze in his tracks and stiffen, trying to detect any danger.

I sighed and bent over to pick up Eddie's game console controller. This kid always leaves his stuff lying around.

I stared at it for a while knowing how Eddie always kept a spare controller close by for when Daniel would come around. Daniel could never say no to a game with Eddie. No matter what mood he was in or how much of a bad day he had. Eddie was always as much of a little brother to him as he was to me and as a result, he was just as important.

How would I explain to Eddie that quite possibly his favourite person on this earth(sorry dad) wouldn't be coming around anymore because he was a good for nothing heartbreaker.

I placed the controller on the kitchen island before walking over to the freezer where I smiled at the sight of the tub of mint chocolate flavoured ice cream.

Come to mummy, beautiful.

I considered picking up a bowl to put the ice cream in like a proper lady would but to heck with it!

I grabbed a spoon, took the lid off the container and dove right in.

And then I started to cry again. And when I say cry, I don't mean that sad crying you see the pretty girls on TV do, I'm talking down right ugly crying with snot running down my nose and the whole shabam.

Crying so ugly that when I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the refrigerator, I was terrified.

I probably would have cried harder at the sight if it wasn't for the knock I heard at the door.

I perked up. I immediately assumed it must be Ms Andrews from next door coming to check on me. She was supposed to be peeking in as a favour to my father from time to time while he and Eddie were gone.

I silently groaned.

The last thing I wanted was her reporting to my father that she had found his daughter on the brink of death by ice cream as she cried her eyes out.

I groaned as I walked over to the back kitchen door where the knock was coming from.
I peeked through the peep hole and was more than shocked to see that it wasn't infact Mrs Andrews.

It was one of my neighbors but not one I would ever expect to come knocking at my door.
Heck, the last time this boy even knocked at my door was back when we were thirteen.

I dutifully swung the door open to reveal the full from of Zachary Andrews in all his glory.

I blinked at him clearly showing my confusion, wondering if his house was on fire or if he had been robbed. Because God knows those are the only reasons he would show up at my door step.
Or on a milder note, maybe Mrs Andrews - his mother had sent him.

"Stevens." He nodded at me, no visible emotion on his face. "You look like hell."

I snapped out of my stupor and glared, remembering exactly why this boy wasn't my friend.

I folded my arms across my chest. "What do you want, Andrews?"

He gave me a sly smile. "The exact thing you want, I suspect. To hurt Daniel Trueman and Cindy Wright."

Please take the time to vote and comment 😊
Thanks for reading. ❤️