↳Oops.

BREAKEVEN | CHAPTER 9

CHAPTER NINE.

↳ Oops.

Ava bursts through her door, slamming it. Running her hands through her hair, she instantly breaks out in tears. She grabs the pillow on her couch, slamming it against the wall. And before she knew it, everything that was once on her coffee table was on the floor. She sits down on the couch, crying in her hands. 

To make things worse, her front door opened. Looking up, she saw the one person she was dreading on seeing. 

"Stephen?" she sniffed, rubbing the tears off her cheeks. 

"Woah, babe. What's going on?" he asks, looking at the mess in the living room. She just shakes her head, putting her head back into her hands. As an instinct, he wraps his arms around her and she lets him. 

"You wanna talk about it?" 

Ava didn't want to, but she knew that she had to one day. And maybe this wasn't the perfect time, but she needed to let this secret out. 

"Stephen, I'm a horrible girlfriend." Ava cries, pushing him off her. He furrows his brows, confused. 

"Babe, no you're not-"

"Stop calling me babe. Please." she looked at him, and he kept his mouth shut ready for her to explain. Cause of course, he was now more confused than ever. 

"It's Ryan. Stupid Ryan. Of course he had to move to the exact same city and the exact same apartment complex. Because he's just ruining my life." 

"What did he do? Do I need to talk to him?" he asks, getting ready to stand up. 

"Stephen no. It's not what he did. You must know, we dated. A long time ago." she explained, and he was now all ears. 

"And, it didn't end well. We were in love, and everything was perfect." Ava said tears still streaming down her face. "And I guess-"

"You still love him." Stephen finished her sentence, not looking at her. 

"Stephen..."

"Did you kiss him?" he asks abruptly, making her jump slightly. 

"I-"

"Did you?!" he screamed, standing up. 

"Yes." she answered. "But, it was a mistake. I was jealous, and it just happened. Stephen, I'm so sorry." 

But instead of him taking the apology, he began to walk out. "W-wait." she grabs his hand. 

"What?" he hissed, turning around and pulling away from her grip. "You think I'll accept your apology, Ava? You kissed another guy, behind my back. And you think I can forgive you?" he asks.

"I wasn't thinking." 

"Of course, you weren't thinking. Cause that's what you didn't do, was think. Think about what we've been through. Think about how much I love you. And yet you cheat on me with an old high school boyfriend who wasn't there for you all the years I was? You're kidding me, right?" he screams.

"Stephen, I do love you." 

"Yet you love him too. But you know what Ava, you're just a lying bitch who can't seem to decide who is more important. Me or Ryan. But I don't want to be a second choice. No. I'm done." he said, throwing my apartment key on the coffee table. 

Ava covers her mouth, watching him walk away. 

"Stephen, Stephen, come back." she says running after him, but he just closes the door, leaving her standing there behind it. Her forehead hits the door, hearing him stomp down the apartment stairs. 

• • •

~2 Days Later~

"I haven't seen her leave the apartment once in the past two days." Yerrow says looking at Ava's door. Ryan looks at the door too, worried for her. 

"I heard screaming the day she came over." Ryan said, still looking at the door. "Sounded like a fight between her and Stephen." 

"Bro, then I would check up on her then if Stephen hasn't." Yerrow says, hitting his side with his arm. "Or I will." 

"I think you should." Ryan sighed, heading back into the apartment. Yerrow shrugs and knocks on her door. No answer. 

"Ava?" he says through the door. Still no answer. 

"Okay, I know you said use this for emergencies, but you could be dying right now, so I'm using the key you gave us." he yells, opening the door with the key. 

He walks in to see the place a disaster. Food all over the counter, living room pillows everywhere, things knocked over or off the tables, and a girl under a blanket on the sofa with a million tissues. 

"This doesn't look good." he said, walking over to Ava, who was squinting at Yerrow. 

"What do you want?" she asks in a raspy voice. 

"Wondering where the hell you've been. What are you doing? Why is this place look like bull ran through here?" he asks picking up a bag of potato chips off the floor. 

"You know, just catching up on Netflix. And, you know, crying." Ava said simply, just laying there. 

"You good?" he asks, furrowing his brows. She nods her head no. 

"Well, before I ask any questions, let's get you up." he sighed, grabbing Ava off the couch. 

"Oh my god, Ava. When was the last time you showered?" he asked, after getting her to stand. 

"Who cares?" she said, falling back down on the couch and under the covers. 

"Alright, we need a professional." 

• • •

"Yerrow, he is the last person I want to see." Ava sighed, seeing Ryan walking into her apartment, stunned by the mess. And after he sees her, his heart dropped. She looked tired and in a lot of pain. She's seen her like this before. 

"Ava, what happened?" he asks, kneeling down by her. 

"I don't really want to talk to you right now Ryan." she turns over to face the back of the couch. 

"Ava, get up." Ryan said, making her look at him. 

"And why should I?" 

"Cause I said so, I'm really worried." he said, crossing his arms. "Or I'll make you." 

Ava rolled her eyes, and sat up. 

"Good, you're up. Now, what happened two days ago?" Ryan asks sitting next to her. 

As much as Ava wanted to just fall back asleep and leave this whole situation behind, but there was no chance that Ryan was just going to leave it. Secretly, she was glad he was here, escpicially after what happened. 

"Well, if you must know, Stephen broke up with me."