Chapter Fourteen

Mature content ahead

———————————————————————————

Elliana

My mate was gone when I awoke, but I had expected no less. I was still incredibly happy that she had stayed with me for one night. A part of her did care, but it was merely overshadowed by hate for my family. I couldn't say I blamed her. Although I did not understand why she was under the impression that the Caelestis royals were murderers, I wasn't too fond of my "family" myself.

Sebastian had never been much of a brother, even before I was declared the heir apparent. He cared too much for power and was willing to do terrifying things to obtain it. My father tried, but he was never willing to make the difficult decisions. My mother had never really cared for me and now, I understood that she merely viewed me as an obstacle to her son's birthright and her path to ultimate power. She feared that if I took the throne and wed, my husband's mother would possess the greater power. My younger sister, Vivienne, was too little to understand the ongoings of the royal family. I also had a twin sister, Aristoria. Although we were civil towards each other, we were never close. She was actually the older twin, but she showed no interest in the throne.

My true family was Lena, who had stood by me through every challenge and stayed strong on my behalf when I couldn't. It was Consort Emilia, who had stepped up to mother and love a child who was not her own. It was my grandfather, Elder Thomas, who had raised me until his reign ended.

I was suddenly startled by Lena charging into the room. She stormed over to my desk and slammed her hands down on it. I flinched instinctively. She noticed and glanced at me apologetically. "Sorry."

I shrugged. "Don't worry. It's not broken."

"I wasn't talking about that." She said quietly as she began to approach me. "I-I never should've brought her here. She told me that you were in p-pain. I swear I wouldn't have if I had known th-that-" she began to cry.

I pulled her into a hug and smiled brightly at her. "Thank you."

She stopped crying for a moment and looked up at me in immense confusion. "What?"

"You managed to make it so I could spend some time with my mate. I was happy. You were right. I will fight for her." My mate cared that I was in pain and that was why she came. I couldn't help the grin that came across my face.

"But didn't sh-she hurt you?" The confusion in her expression was clear.

"Well of course I'm a bit hurt that she left while I was asleep...but I realize that she must have her own obligations and priorities as well. Besides, it may have been for the best that she left when she did. The longer she stayed up here, the bigger the chance of being discovered." Then I sighed. "I will fight for her, but it's not going to be easy. She utterly despises our kind."

Suddenly, Lena frowned. "Right, she told me to make sure you ate when you woke up?"

"Let's go to the kitchens then." I began to stand but was hit by a strong sense of dizziness accompanied by a bout of nausea. Lena gasped and grabbed my arm to steady me. "I'm fine."

"Wh-"

"I'm fine." I reassured. "I think I'll eat in here though. If you can get me some food I'd appreciate it." Lena immediately nodded and helped me sit back down before running out.

Caelestis, especially royals, replaced blood much more efficiently than mortals, unless they lost way too much blood at once, like the time Demi fed on me while she was injured. I began to lie back down when I heard a rustling sound under the blankets. I shifted them to see a folded up scrap of parchment that I could tell had been torn from my book. I unfolded it to see four simple lines written in a calligraphic style slightly different from my own.