8

24 weeks

Derek had officially begun hibernating. He didn't want to be by anyone since he was achy and itchy across his belly, having more hot flashes than a woman going through the menopause and was out of breath constantly.

He had been sat down all day in the armchair, in his boxers and a white t-shirt which was purposefully oversized to hide things. Or his belly. Fanning himself constantly with a magazine, he growled when he felt sweat drip down his forehead. He swiped at his forehead and flared his nostrils at himself.

He didn't not smell good. Underneath the various scents of sweat, he could also smell something which he hadn't recognised before and he didn't know the meaning of either, making his eyebrows furrow. He smelt ginger and honey fused into one. It was weirdly soothing to his wolf.

To make things worse, he was having an increasingly difficult time trying to control his urges. He couldn't stop his mind falling into a place where he and Stiles did things which Derek would never repeat. At one point, he even briefly considered taking Stiles up on the offer of dating him, since he did like him back after all. That was until his mind was plagued with horrifying scenarios in which the Sheriff or Scott caught them in the act, which both soon quelled his urges almost instantaneously.

He heaved his body up, shifting around until he found a comfortable position to stay sat in. Growling at the sound of the door, he watched as Stiles stumbled in after being shoved through the door by Isaac. Derek tugged a blanket over his body quickly, pushing his legs up onto the sofa too, making his now round and hefty belly more discrete.

Stiles paused and frowned at Isaac, one for pushing him in here and two because of the stupid face he was pulling.

Isaac's nose was scrunched up, his eyes were wide and his eyebrows pointing downwards.

"What?" Derek growled out at them, pulling the blanket over himself more and trying to ignore the odd twinge he felt spread across his belly.

"You stink."

Stiles turned to Isaac and smacked his arm. "Way to be subtle, Isaac."

Isaac shrugged and shivered slightly at the scent. "Not just like sweat either. There's something weird like ginger and like..." He took a moment to think. "Honey!"

"So?" Derek hissed out, choosing to ignore the two of them by avoiding looking at them.

Isaac shrugged. He didn't know what the scent meant but he knew Derek didn't have it before. "Are you doing alright, Derek?"

"I'm fine."

Stiles winced. "That tone doesn't sound fine." He took a seat on the arm of the chair Derek was in, which made Derek turn his head away, knowing that he was struggling to resist the younger man.

"You've not had pack training for like 3 months, Derek!" Isaac exclaimed, frustration building up in his mind.

Derek started burning up but wasn't willing to let go of the blanket, which was hiding him pretty well. He swiped at his forehead, feeling the sweat drip down his forehead.

Stiles planted a hand on Derek's shoulder, which made him flinch slightly and made Stiles frown. He studied Derek's face. He'd finally shaved but he looked different. He furrowed his brows and his lips turned downwards. His cheeks were puffier, his cheekbones less prominent.

"Me and Scott need you!" Isaac exclaimed with frustration. "My wolf is going crazy because it's never around yours!"

"That's not my problem." Derek said harshly, wincing at himself afterwards. The truth is, Derek felt it too but he didn't want to speak to anyone nor to be seen by anyone.

"Come on, Derek!" Stiles said with grievance, squeezing Derek's shoulder lightly. "Just let us in...what's going on?"

Derek sighed and blinked slowly, turning to Stiles with a small frown on his lips.

"It's just...I-"

Scott flew into the room with a stomp as he stopped and Derek just blew up.

He growled at Scott, feeling all weird and overprotective over something which he didn't understand. He stood up, the blanket falling to the floor but everyone was too distracted to look at his belly.

Stiles stood up in a panic, turning to Derek with his hands up in the air. "Woah...what's going on?"

"What the hell!" Scott snarled back at him.

Derek growled again, flicking his claws and teeth out, aiming his aggression towards Scott only.

"Woah-Jesus, Derek!" Stiles pushed lightly at Derek's chest because he inched closer towards Scott, still a in hostile mood.

Maybe it was his wolf instinct after all, Scott did attack him at the last pack training.

"Derek, we need you dude." Scott said sadly, resisting the urge to snarl again at the older wolf.

"You don't." Derek fought the urge to launch at Scott as Stiles placed a hand on his chest.

"Okay, alright!" Stiles sighed. "Scott get out. You're not helping, you're making him angry and that's not a good idea...you should just go."

Scott blinked at his best friend, incredulous that he was seemingly taking Derek's side in this. "What?"

"Go." Stiles repeated.

Isaac grabbed Scott by the arm, hauling him out to the jeep where they sat together talking things over, which Derek had to purposefully ignore.

"What the hell was that?" Stiles puffed out, breathing the panic away.

Derek sat down with a sigh, his body thudding down against the chair.

Stiles tried really hard not to look at him but he couldn't help his wandering eyes, settling on Derek's belly. It was huge compared to his usual flat muscularness.

Noticing Stiles' staring, Derek picked up his blanket and tugged it over himself.

"What-"

"Don't." He growled back.

"Why not?" Stiles asked curiously, he wanted to know what was going on with the older man.

"I don't know what it is." He confessed to the human with a slight sigh. "Just don't ask."

"But don't you want to know? Derek...you could be ill."

The older man shrugged, it was too late now. He'd been suffering for 6 months, why get help now?