Chapter 10

Keith

Keith walked ahead, letting go of the siren's hand to pull aside the drooping branches of one of the weeping trees that surrounded the small pool. He watched Lance duck under the leaves, eyes curiously trained ahead.

Keith had never taken anyone here. Not that anyone ever came into the jungles in general, but this place was special. Keith had offered it as if it were a camp but in reality, it was like his home. This is where he'd spent his time since the first week he'd lived with Alfor. He couldn't remember what had happened. Someone had said something, likely a guard or a visiting diplomat commenting on Keith's presence in the classless much less being chosen by the royal family. He'd run away, convinced he wasn't meant to be there and determined never to come back.

He'd fallen into the clearing, tripping over the underbrush and crashing through the hanging branches in a way that let him recall the stinging pain of his scratches and his bruised legs as he followed after Lance. The long leaves swayed back into place behind him as he watched Lance from behind as he gaped at the scene before him.

Keith wouldn't deny that it was beautiful. Despite the darkness of the forest, this clearing was ever so slightly brighter than the rest. There was a giant weeping tree that umbrellaed them, keeping them hidden from the external world. It in itself was like a room, the surrounding undergrowth and walls of weeping leaves keeping out all but the smallest and most determined creatures.

Over the years Keith had reinforced his home, planting gnarly and spiny plants around his wall of weeping leaves, plucking everything but the flowers and grass from around the pool so he had a nice place to spend his time on the forest floor.

Glittering, harmless creatures and glowing weeping seeds floated through the air. They gave a false sense of stars under the tree as they along with the glowing foliage light his home. The flowers bloomed brilliant colors, the dangerous shrubs he'd planted around and through the leaf walls lit every corner of the little haven. But the real spectacle was the pool itself. The water was crystal clear which allowed the bright mosses along its sides illuminate its entire depths. There were water grasses at the bottom, fresh water corals and spiny creatures creating a mystical terrain within as they too presented a sight any creature could stare at for hours.

It was tranquil, it was safe. That was why Keith had always come back, this was where he could pretend his problems didn't exist. He could pretend that it was only he and nature here. He had brought petal fish to the pool a few years ago, only two so he could control their population. He'd been harvesting their bubble nests filled with growing eggs and bringing them to the ocean to hatch for a little over a year now. There were a total of twenty of them in the pool by now, most stragglers he'd missed while collecting eggs.

While Lance walked around in awe Keith moved off to the side to reach into a cubby he'd dug out under one of the tree's roots and pulled out a bag and set it out, moving to his next hiding place to pull out his sleeping roll.

"Can I?"

"What?" Keith stood and undid the band holding the pad compressed.

"Can I go in the water?"

Keith looked up and was taken aback once again when he saw Lance. He was beautiful, the markings flowing over his dark skin, the way he seemed to almost be glittering under the bioluminescence. It was the second time he'd really looked at him and it was startling. At least this time he wasn't flashing. It made it far less intrusive to look at him.

"Of course you can." He said while meeting Lances eyes which sent a shiver down his spine. He couldn't decide if they were alluring or terrifying. They way they just tugged him in felt weird. They made him wary. He looked away to give Lance a moment of privacy so he could take off his Impromptu clothing only to snap his gaze over when he saw the Siren was just going to dive right in.