Chapter 6 ~ Football

It had been a month since Jace and City first went out on their pizza and rooftop date. For the past three weekends, they had been seeing each other from Friday until Sunday practically. Between working during the week and meeting up with City either at Indigo or at a restaurant somewhere in the city on the weekends, Jace decided to take a break from his fighting and focus on building his relationship with her. Jace even brought her to meet Tim, who instantly took a liking to the girl.

"And who is this gorgeous young lady?" Tim had said. "You didn't tell me she was so lovely, Jace. You're sure out of your league with this one."

City had laughed as Jace had rolled his eyes, a smile on his face. After Tim's approval of City, Jace felt like he could conquer the world.

On a Saturday evening of their fourth weekend in a row spent together, Jace and City went out to a fancier restaurant and ate and talked the night away. Jace came back to his apartment feeling elated.

"There's our boy, home early," called Isaac when Jace walked in.

"Yeah, yeah," said Jace playfully. He plopped down on the couch with a deep sigh.

"No way!" exclaimed Isaac suddenly, sitting up from the lounge chair he was in, his blonde hair falling in front of his face. "You didn't!"

"Didn't...?"

"You guys did it!"

Jace laughed. Isaac stared at him.

"No, you idiot. We haven't done that yet."

Isaac continued to stare, his mouth dropping open.

"What's this I hear?" asked Devin, coming into the living room with a bowl of popcorn in his arms. "Are you two talking about dirty things again?"

"I was hoping to," said Isaac, voice barely audible, mouth still agape.

Devin furrowed his eyebrows and squinted at Isaac and Jace from behind his glasses. "Someone care to explain, or should I just walk away?"

"THEY HAVEN'T SLEPT TOGETHER YET!" shouted Isaac, throwing his hands up dramatically. He stood and towered over Jace, pointing a finger at him. "What is your issue? Are you freaking blind? City is gorgeous!"

"Good for you, Jace," said Devin as he popped some popcorn in his mouth. "Bou' 'ime 'ou 'ettle' 'ow'."

Both Isaac and Jace stared at him. Devin cleared his throat. "Bout time you settled down, I said! Sheesh."

"Again with the sheesh," muttered Isaac. Then he whipped back around to face Jace again. "I can't believe it. I can't believe it. That's literally all you did with your other girlfriends. How have you not done it with the prettiest one yet?!"

"It's called loooove," said Devin, exaggerating a kissing face.

Isaac burst out laughing. "No! No way. No. No way."

Jace rolled his eyes. "Is it that hard to believe that I actually really like this one, Isaac?"

"Yes!" he cried. "Because you never get all mushy and in your feelings about anything. What is the matter with you?!"

It was Devin's turn to roll his eyes. "You're being a drama queen again. Aren't you happy for him?"

Isaac huffed. Devin's words seemed to stir thoughtfulness back into him. He turned to Devin, then to Jace, then seemed to give up. He sat back down in his lounge chair. "I am happy for you, Jace, really. I think City is awesome." He paused. "But..."

"But what?"

"Are you sure you want to date her and keep your illegal fighting a secret?" asked Isaac. "That's a big part of your life and income... I mean, you've been doing it since you were 12, I don't know how you will be able to just give it up for a girl like this..."