Chapter 20 ~ Smoke

Motorcycles?

The sound continued to get louder until it stopped a short way from the barn. Jace didn't even realize that he was holding his breath as he strained to listen.

Footsteps were heard approaching the barn. Inside, Craton's men were completely silent. They, too, were thrown off guard by the visitors. A few looked to Craton for silent advice.

So it's not Craton's men out there...

Jace glanced toward Craton, who was paused, about to reach City, his face contorted into utter confusion and frustration.

Then came the voices in whispers.

"This barn?"

"That's what that nerdy kid said."

"Isaac! Be nice."

"Can you two shut up? You're being loud."

There was a pause.

"Is this the door?"

"Obviously, Devin."

"Well, let's..."

The sound of his voice trailed off. Jace knew exactly the voices he had heard, and he didn't know what to think. Should he be grateful that his friends were there? It was too dangerous... But surely they hadn't come alone?

Craton jerked his head toward the wooden barn door, ordering his men to open it and take care of whoever was behind. One of Craton's men who was closest to the door walked toward it, arm extended, reaching for the handle—

The double doors burst open, knocking Craton's man backward. There were yells from both the intruders and from Craton's men as chaos suddenly erupted.

Smoke-makers were thrown into the barn, exploding open and releasing thick, grey clouds that instantly covered the room. With the distraction covering his actions, Jace immediately went to work on the two men holding him. Jace had newfound energy with the arrival of his friends, and he was easily able to beat back the two men that had been holding him. One he left unconscious, and the other couldn't get up from the ground.

Jace stood, breathing heavily through the cold, smoke-filled air, and took a moment to glance around at his surroundings.

The sounds reached his ears even when he couldn't see. Gunshots sliced through the grey, adding to the mess by creating fear. Yells were heard from all over the barn as men shoved and punched and kicked each other.

Felicity sprang into Jace's mind.

He was only standing still for a few seconds, but he sprinted toward the middle of the barn alley, right into the thick of the fray. Squinting through the smoke, Jace almost ran over the chair on which City was placed.

A huge man with a deep scowl on his face stood over City. He turned to Jace and began to speak, but at the next moment, another man slammed into the huge one, both of them falling to the ground.

Jace didn't know which of the two men were on his side, so instead of joining the fight, he kneeled before City.

"Felicity..." he spoke, shaking her gently.

She was beginning to wake up, her eyelids still heavy from taking that hit to her head.

Then the sights and sounds of the fight reached her all at once, and she jumped, her eyes wide and panicked.

"We need to go," said Jace. He tore away her gag and went around her, fumbling with the rope. Finally, he got it free just as the two men that were fighting bumped into him.