chapter 21 - deal

Jason McCann.

Madison and Blossom were in our bedroom talking so I decided to take care of the meal Madison had started. That doesn't mean that I actually cooked, of course, I got Dorinda to finish the meal for us all. Our little maid.

When I entered the living room again, I walked in on Smith being extrememly cuddly with Alyssa. I did not like what I saw. "What are you doing?" I narrowed my eyes at him and walked closer. "Weren't you supposed to stay the fuck away from my family?" I slipped Alyssa into my own arms and felt her watch me in curiousity. I didn't want her to see me angry, ever, but this couldn't be controlled.

"One more time and your ass is gone. Do you hear me, Smith?" I spat out of anger and sat myself down in one of the bean bags.

"Hi baby." I smiled, trying to cover up for my earlier outburst. She probably didn't mind or notice, considering she was only two weeks old, but I felt like she didn't like it. I felt like I just had to make it right and be on her good side again. "Daddy loves you." I brushed her hair out of her face so that I could lean down and softly kiss her forehead. "I love you so much." A squeal escaped her throat as a toothless grin was shot my way. She was laughing. Baby girl was laughing. "What's so funny?" I giggled down at her.

Madison and Blossom stepped out of the bedroom and watched me suspiciously. "What are you doing?" Madison slowly walked up to me. I could see the marks after tears that had rolled down her cheeks not too long ago, but decided to ignore it and focus on the good. "She laughed at me."

"Did she really?" Blossom threw herself on the bean bag, making me tilt slightly. "Careful." I warned. There was no way to calm her down when she was excited for something, it was impossible. "Make her laugh again!" She jumped up and down and I felt myself growing annoyed. "It just happened like that. I didn't do anything special or extra funny. Now, will you stop?"

"Well, damn." Madison scoffed and brought her little sister off the bean bag. Blossom sat on her lap and whispered something very secret into her ear. "Looks like you're best friends now." I muttered sarcastically. "Would that be a problem, to you? Me getting along with my sister?" Madison sassed and stood up. "It's absolutely not. Just don't gang up on me. Don't forget who's house you're staying in."

Blossom's head snapped my way. "Why do you always say that?" Oh, no. Madison grew interested in the sentence that I had now repeated. "Always say what?" I looked away, trying to look at anything but Madison's eyes. "Don't forget who's house you're staying in. You told me that yesterday."

The room went dead silent as if everyone was waiting for Maddie to go off at me. "You told a five year old that? You told my sister that?" Maddie said quietly, too angry to raise her voice. "It.. kind of- slipped." I made my sentence come out as a guess or question. I slowly ruined my own life by opening my mouth once again. "I- didn't think she'd remember that."

"She is already worried about not having a home or family. Of course that sentence will come back to her, at least stay there for a while." Alyssa was watching her mommy talk, obviously not understanding a thing. But she was so easily entertained, this was the best thing she knew.

In the middle of our little argument, a head appeared in the door way. Dorinda stood there with a spatula in her hand. "Dinner's ready." She sighed.

-

"I'm sorry Blossom. I shouldn't have said that. I'd never make you leave my house." I spoke honestly to the little five year old in front of me. "Let's make a deal... I won't be mad at you anymore if you could-" I cut her off in the middle of the sentence. "I'm worried now." Maddie giggled and went back to watch her sister, excited for her idea of our deal.

"Could you bring me one of those lollies Patrick had in his doctor bag? Or like, five?" Madison and I laughed for a bit and then I agreed, promising I'd get her those lollies. "Great."

"Sissy. I'll get to start school soon, right?" Shit, we forgot about school. We weren't legally her guardians because of obvious reasons. The state would never approve of a little girl living under my roof. We didn't get any mail for her to my house so we must have missed the whole school thing. "Soon." Madison's tone told me that she thought of the exact same thing.

"What's school like?" Blossom's question was directed at me, the guy who never really went to school. "Great." I lied straight through my teeth. "Do you think so, too?" Madison nodded, swallowing the food in her mouth. "School was great for me because I was focused. It gets hard if you don't listen to the teachers. Don't do that."

"And then Alyssa will start and I'll take care of her. Protect her from the mean girls, protect her from the drooling boys..." Blossom spoke dreamily with her chin in her hands, dramatically looking up in the air. "That sounds amazing." I turned to Alyssa who sat on the short side of the table. "Right? Blossom will protect you, and so will daddy."

a/n - trying to hint what the title "daddy" actually means other than a synonym for father. last chapter and this chapter. anyone got a clue? a guess?

and HOW CUTE IS BLOSSOM I WANT A LITTLE SISTER NOW GOD