--- CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR

[stubborn as an ass]

***

***

After her strange encounter with Cato, Shay just wanted to eat dinner and isolate herself in her room. She knew that would never happen though. This time outside of the arena was precious and Taurus would want to go over what happened in training with her. The blonde's dream of some peace and quiet was also interrupted when she entered their tribute apartment and saw the District Ten stylists sitting on the couch.

It was not that Shay hated them. She hated their sense of fashion and how it made her look ridiculous, but not them. They were just like flamboyant children, despite them being older than Taurus. They were unable to see the suffering and darkness in their world, blind to it, while at the same time being so over-the-top about how wonderful their own lives were.

Rezin was still sporting his usual makeup, the blue stripe over his lips. Karma, on the other hand, was like an abstract painting. Her hair, half-black and half-white, was styled as if the wind swept it to the side. Her clothes were color blocked like a bizarre jigsaw puzzle. Shay did not see the appeal.

Not wanting to start a conversation with them, the teenager noticed an Avox near the dining table. She did not know if she was supposed to speak to them; they were not supposed to be seen let alone heard. That is why they had their tongues cut out. Traitors of the Capitol, criminals, were nothing more than slaves now.

Shay did not care about whatever rules there were though. "Have you seen anyone besides Rezin and Karma?" she asked. It was a simple yes or no question for the Avox. The girl shook her head frantically, obviously distressed that anyone was talking to her. Shay gave her a small smile and exited the main area to go to her room without the stylists even noticing her presence.

For once, she was lucky enough to get her wish, even for a little while. Without anyone around, she hoped she could take a short nap before dinner. Her mind would not turn off, however. She kept thinking about the hulking blond tribute from District 2. Why would the Careers want her as an ally? She had only managed to win one out of the ten fights she must have participated in against Troy. She had not even shown off her truly deadly talent.

Finally, her mind started to settle, feeling the exhaustion set in. Just as Shay began to drift off, Verona barged through her bedroom door. "There you are!" the purple-haired woman greeted. Shay huffed at the rude awakening. It was kind of out of character for Verona to enter without knocking, as she was usually very adept with manners. "I heard about your big fight at training!"

Well, that figures her attitude, Shay thought about the obviously excited woman.

"It was nothing," Shay said, waving her off.