Friendship

Alec and Izzy came in just before brunch, so Clary and Magnus decided to stay indoors with their significant others while Bat and Maia decided to go outside with Simon.

He may or may have not been looking out for a certain blond. Not that he'd admit it, if he was asked.

"So what first?" Maia asked. "I'm thinking the beach first. Then sightseeing. Or...Simon?"

"Yeah, you guys do that." He said, absently. "I'm going to get...coffee or something."

"Are you OK, buddy?" Bat asked. "You are more spacey than usual."

"Yea, I'm fine." Simon said. "I'm trying not to be a third wheel. Can you at least let me have that with my dignity intact?" He laughed. He saw Bat and Maia exchange a look. "Seriously, guys I'm fine. I have my phone. If I need you'll call you guys. Go and have fun."

"OK, but if Magnus asks, we were with you throughout." Maia said, giving him a hug. "He made us promise not to leave you alone."

"He did wha-" Simon sighed, pushing his glasses up his nose. "Never mind, I totally get it. I promise to tell him you were with me throughout."

As they left, he heard Bat say "Are you sure this is a good idea?" He didn't hear Maia's reply. He made his way to a bar just overlooking the beach. He got out his phone and replied a message from his sister. He took a pic of the beach and sent to her.

BecksTheDevil [11.33AM]

Send a picture of Raphael. I wonder what he'd look like at the beach.

Simon sighed. He remembered the half assed story he gave his family when Raphael was absent at Bubbie Helen's birthday party.

SimonLewis [11.35AM]

Rapha and I broke up. Long story. It's almost six months now. Don't tell mom.

He had barely hit send, when his phone started ringing. He gave a shaky laugh when he saw his sister's name.

"Hey Becks...what's up?" he said cheerily and braced himself for her screech.

"What do you mean, you and Raphael broke up? I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago. Come to think of it, he was vague and hurried me off the phone. Also, six months?! And you didn't tell me? Or mom? Is that why he wasn't at the party? Simon..."

He smiled. "I'm fine Becks. It is a long story. I promise to tell you everything when I get back. That's why I came out here. Needed a change."

"But...you should have told me." She sounded sad. "What was the point of the shovel talk back then. It was eight fucking years, Si. Are you sure you are OK? Magnus is taking care of you?"

"Damn it Becks, I'm a grown man. I don't need taking care of. In fact I may have met someone. And before you scream, not like that. He's just a friend."

"You like him." Her voice was teasing. "Oh my Gosh, Simon do you have a crush? Also, you are my baby brother, of course you need taking care of."

"Alec doesn't fuss over Izzy like this." He grumbled.

"That is because Izzy knows about 35 ways to kill a man with her high heels."

"True."

They chatted for a few minutes and Simon begged her not to tell their mother before he got back.

"What can I get you?" the bartender asked him, when he hung up. He turned and found himself staring at the most beautiful man he had ever seen. Like, epically beautiful. He sucked in a breath. "Um...surprise me?" he blushed. "I'm sorry. I don't mean to stare. You are...um...well..."