Chapter 17: The Return

I slowly opened my eyes from a short nap I had taken in the helicopter ride back to the Air National Guard base.

The cold December wind swept across my face as I stared sleepily out across the miles and miles of beautiful Mississippi countryside. Being ten thousand feet in the air had its advantages, the view was breath taking.

The wind, however, was unforgiving. Here I was, just a twenty year old leading a band of rebels without a cause in the most God forsaken time in human history. And the bad thing was, we weren't doing too bad for ourselves.

We had Delta Force boys as allies, a shit ton of weapons, food, and clothing, and one of the biggest houses in the state.

But all that came at a price.

We had seen and done some of the most unforgivable things that anyone could ever do. Killed, maimed, burned, and destroyed people and un-dead until we finally found the safety of our home. But in my opinion, it was worth the price.

Cody, Bob, Zig, and I hadn't seen the homestead for a couple days and we were nearly starved to death. Once we got off that helicopter at the air base, we were longing for some warm soup and a soft bed.

"Well son, I do believe we're even. Next time, I call in the favor." Said Williams.

"Well, if you ever need us, you know where to find us and you have my number. Don't hesitate." I said, shaking William's hand.

I smiled to him as he spun the chopper off and they flew out into the distance.

"Well boys, we need to find us a ride home. Search for a Humvee or a truck or something." I said.

We spread out and searched the compound for a new ride, only finding a few destroyed cars and a mini chopper. None of us knew how to fly so that was outta the question.

Then he found it.

"Hey guys, I think I just found our new best friend." Said Cody, leading us to a modified APC with a .50 caliber machine gun attached.

"Awe, hell yeah!" Said Bob, my little brother. He was still bloodied and bruised from the earlier battle but he still cracked a smile.

Sarah walked up beside me and asked "Can you drive it, Jake?"

"I can drive anything, babe." I replied in a cool tone of voice.

"Ha! You can drive em, but there's no guarantee that you won't blow the motor. Remember the little Nissan car of yours or the little Toyota truck?" Said Zig with a shit-eating grin.

"Ha! I remember. You still gonna give me hell about that?" I asked.

"Until the day you die." Zig chuckled.

"Won't be any time soon." I replied, chuckling.

We climbed inside the APC to find the inside was nearly immaculate, the controls were still intact and the keys still in the ignition. I turned the keys into the on position and the fuel gauge read 3/4's of a tank of fuel.

"Well, this is definitely our best bet and I'll be damned if I let this beauty go to waste. Let's load up and ride out." I said.

The boys and Sarah loaded up in the back, Bob hopping on the .50 cal and Zig riding shotgun. We rode out of the hanger and into the street, what was left of Airport road.

We drove through downtown Brandon, the burned buildings and littered streets looked ancient.
Undead shambled about the streets, wandering like lost children looking for whatever they can scavenge.

Graffiti of This is the end and Welcome to Hell tagged on buildings and cars weren't an uncommon sight.

"This place looks like shit, Jake." Said Bob, standing in the gunners rack, smoking a cigarette.

"Yeah, I remember driving through here not even a year ago to get parts for my truck and grab some Taco Bell for lunch." I replied.

We drove the APC down a country rode on the outskirts of Brandon until we reached our destination, the large mansion we called home.

"Hey! Kam! Let us in!" Said Zig over his radio.

The gates swung open and we drove the APC behind the house with the rest of the vehicles.

"Every time you guys leave, you come back with new toys!" Said Morgan, relieved to see us all in one piece.

"Yeah, well most of the time it's a matter of necessity over a matter of want." I said.

"Well you need to go out more often! This thing is phenomenal dude!" Said Drew, observing the APC like its a brand new test model.

"As soon as we get some rest we'll tell you all about our grand adventure down at Camp Shelby. Everyone get cleaned up and go get some sleep." I said.

I walked to the armory to rack my rifle, bringing Sarah with me to show her around.

"Wow, you guys are doing pretty well for yourselves, huh?"

"Yeah, not to shabby if I do say so myself." I smiled at her and she smiled back at me. I had missed that beautiful smile and those gorgeous eyes.

"Well, let's go upstairs and get cleaned up, we both look a mess. I'm sure I have some clothes that'll fit you." I said grabbing Sarah's hand and leading her into my bedroom.

I got undressed in the usual way, taking off my belt and holster, then my tac vest and then my pants and undershirt. Sarah came up behind me and kissed my exposed back and neck.

I've missed you so much, Jake.

I've missed you too, Sarah.

"Remember when we used to fight about who needed to text who first? That seems like ages ago." I said.

Sarah chuckled and said "And I always won." She did always win, I couldn't ever stay mad at her.

"I need to get some rest and a shower sweetheart, its been a long couple of days." I said, walking toward the bathroom to get in the shower.

"Agreed. Can I sleep with you?" Asked Sarah.

"Of course you can babe." I said with a smile as I peeled back the covers of my bed and she hopped in. I got into my shower, letting the warm water wash away all the blood and gore off of me. It had been a hell of a two days and I needed this more than ever. I thought to myself how nice it was to have solar power and actual hot water. I was so thankful in that moment. I finally had things back to where they needed to be.

I got out, dried off and got dressed into some nice, comfortable jogging pants and a long sleeve t-shirt and joined Sarah in bed. We cuddled up all nice and close and I whispered in her ear "I will never let anything happen to you again. Promise."

I know, Jake.

I kissed her forehead and my exhaustion finally drew me in.