✥Chapter 4✥

The face of an angel

Rose grown in the gardens of Eden

Your beauty is dangerous

Death brought by heaven

Your eyes hold the stars

They call you Mister E(nigma)

Your heart is Pandora's Box

Consumed by desire
 I lit this fire

And I fear it burns too bright

The enigma of the night

Cloaking with the mask of darkness

I like your venom

Even if it stings

I knows it hurts me
It's not what love brings

If that's even love

It's hard to say at this point

It's hard to explain

My heart it can't contain

Shot by an arrow

Splitting my brain

Seven swords of my sorrows

You proudly display

Gerard paced around the hallways, listening to the scuff of his shoes against the carpet. His research journal was opened, pen dangling from the corner of his mouth as he padded through the pages. The journal had been given to him as a gift, a congratulations on making it into the ministry. The red leather journal had golden engravings with his name, and a cross. After furiously skimming through his years of notes he found it, a series of pages marked by a small handkerchief folded neatly in the inside margins. Taking it out, he felt the soft white linen, the translucent fabric worn with years of use, and its signature black cross embroidered in the bottom left corner. After tucking the handkerchief in his shirt pocket, his eyes drifted back to the page titled 'demonic possession and encounters' before being startled by a bang and dropping his book with a squeak. Bending over to pick his belongings up, looking under his legs, he noticed a drowsy looking Frank peeking around the guest room door. Gerard quickly got up and brushed his bangs back into place, "Good morrow my sleeping beauty, was your rest pleasant?"
Frank scoffed and flipped him off "Great indeed Romeo", to which Gerard rolled his eyes.
"That's not even by the same author!" Gerard threw his hands in the air, Frank just smirked in response, Gerard sighed and shook his head, "Anyways, you have slept twelve hours, more sleep than I've had in a week." Gerard paused with a grin "It's midnight now. Do you want to go look at the house now?" Frank yawned and scratched his head, his shirt exposing the soft skin of his stomach and the tattooed doves that adored it. Gerard's eyes wandered across the ink, to his navel, and the coarse hairs that trailed down below it and into his pants, his eyes quickly darted back up to Frank's. Frank looked indifferent, perhaps distracted, his gaze lazily directed to the collar around Gerard's shirt, to which Gerard stiffened and involuntarily brought his hand up to the stiff fabric, and to his rosary. He rolled the translucent, crimson, beads between his fingers, taking the time to slide down the rosary, all the way down to the cross. Frank watched, mesmerized by the way the beads shone in the moonlight flitting through the windows, looking like little blood droplets circling the man's neck, contrasting to the way the ghastly white light hit his pale throat, a beautifully blank canvas. Frank wanted to paint that canvas with the tears that blemished his lips. Wandering eyes met each other in a gaze, filled with too many emotions yet so many masked. Gerard couldn't stand the intense stare of Frank's beautiful eyes, the hazel with melting honey and swirls of green; he quickly looked away, and rather to the boy's fluffy chocolate hair.
The tension was quickly broken, and probably a good thing at that, as Frank yawned. The electricity in the room had shifted to a different frequency, something the two were much more comfortable with. "Sorry, what did you ask?" Frank yawned once again, stretching his arms in front of him, fingers laced together as he cracked the bones, and an apologetic smile gracing his soft pink, heart-shaped, lips. Gerard was breathless at the boy's beauty, perhaps one of the most beautiful of God's creations. He sucked a breath back in before relying with a light, airy laugh, "I said do you want to go check out the house now? If not we can check it out in the morning." He couldn't help but smile back at the younger.
"I think I'm ready, let's do it now." Frank said with a twitch at the corner of his lip.
"Great! Do you have a jacket? It's cold outside. I have several that you can borrow." Gerard cooed over him, feeling a strange yet strong responsibility to watch over the boy. He was going to be Frank's saint. When he looked into his eyes, they sparkled with purity and innocence that must not be destroyed. In Gerard's 25 years of living, he had never seen a creature so pure. He didn't believe in angels coming into earth, but after meeting Frank, that changed. He would not let anything taint his angel, not even the bitter bite of the cold.
"I have a hoodie" Frank offered with a shoulder shrug and eyebrow raise. Gerard frowned and shook his head.
"That won't do, it's autumn in New Jersey, the temperature is below freezing at night." Gerard briskly walked down the hallway and Frank trailed behind timidly. They wound around the corner, passing the kitchen, and to the small hallway that lead to the front door. To the right side there was a vintage coat rack, polished oak wood swirled and branched out in the four cardinal directions. The coat rack was taller than Frank, Gerard found that amusing. Gerard's hands flew through the coat rack, searching for a coat to fit his pint-sized angel. Gerard looked back to Frank, and found him looking at a blood red leather jacket lined with black fleece. Gerard removed the jacket and held it up to Frank's shoulders, it was a tad too long but that was fine. "Saw you looking at this, I think this will work for you Frankie", Gerard looked to the younger with a small smile.
"Oh! Uh, thanks Gerard." Pink danced across Frank's cheeks as he stuttered, which earned a chuckle from Gerard. Frank took the jacket from his hands and began to slip it on. After getting the left sleeve on, he struggled to find where the other one was, waving his arm behind him feeling for it. Gerard gently guided his hand through the sleeve, and readjusting the jacket on Frank's shoulders, sliding his hands down his arms and brushing against his hands. Frank could feel Gerard's breath tickle the nape of his neck as the priest stood behind him and helped him, the sensation sent jolts of electricity through his spine, taking delight in the shivers that they gave. Frank leaned into the touch, his back pressed against Gerard's chest, hands brought together in a holy prayer which was well known to lovers and saints alike. Frank knew he should stop, yet the temptation had already taken him, he already was dancing with fate. The moment his eyes laid upon the beauty known as Gerard, he was caught in a paradox. He was fortune's finest fool, he knew of the consequences, yet his saint was religion he was faithful to. A death brought by heaven, if he were ever to open the Pandora's Box of Gerard's heart. He was blinded by the beauty of his saint, but that's what happened when you gaze upon the face of an angel.
Gerard felt Frank lay his head in the crook between his neck and shoulders and knew he shouldn't let it continue, yet for some reason he did. He looked down at the younger who gazed back up at him, with a long strip of fringe draped over one of his eyes. Gerard's hand glided to Frank's face a trailed across it, with the delicacy in his touch of a ghost; his soft hands pushed the piece of fringe out of Frank's face who murmured a quick thanks in response. Frank slowly twirled out of Gerard's touch, facing him instead.
After a moment of prolonged eye contact Frank placed a hand on his hip, "So, how do I look?" Frank asked with a smirk, embracing the twink has was destined to be.
"Absolutely dashing" Gerard stated with a content smile, quite oblivious to the flirtation the twink looking up to him was giving, "Now we can leave without you catching Scarlet Fever". Gerard opened the door and gestured Frank to exit first. Frank wandered down the three steps that lead to the driveway and turned back to see Gerard who was locking the door, a beautiful view of his ass from Frank's perspective. Gerard trotted down the stairs, "Come on Frank, we'll take a shortcut through the woods" he announced. Frank took on a more leisurely pace behind Gerard, who was still jogging.
"Slow down Gerard" Frank whined, to which Gerard seemed to not hear. "Gerard!" Frank exclaimed more assertively as he walked a little brisker to grab Gerard's hand and slow him down which Gerard responded with a grumble. Their hands lingered together a bit too long before they let go.
"So now that you're walking at a normal pace," Frank smirked at Gerard, who scoffed and turned his head away, "I was going to mention that I also take the same path through the forest. That's how I get to church on Sunday. But I've never taken it at night, this is going to be interesting."
"It is, you can see every star and constellation hanging in the night sky. It's truly a beautiful sight. Despite all it's beauty I find it a bit unsettling. It always feels as if someone is watching me. The fact that I can't see all around, causes me paranoia; but I suppose it's all part of the enigma of the night." Gerard told Frank as he gazed at the stars. Frank's eyes were more fixated on the entrance to the forest.
"How does it feel living on the edge of the forest?" Frank asked, realizing what a stupid question that was seconds later, as he lived on the edge of the forest as well. Gerard shot him an amused look before responding as they entered the forest, trees cascading in a bridge above their heads, just short enough to make Gerard duck while Frank enjoyed his lack of height for once.
"What you would expect" Gerard paused taking a moment to think, looking at his surroundings of the foliage. In front of them ran a small animal, either a squirrel or rat. The little creature left footprints in the porous soil, barely visible. It probably would have been showcased better if the path was marked better, or visible. It was an area of tramped on leaves and branches, the ground slightly imprinted, really not enough to call a path. Gerard speculated he and Frank were the only ones responsible for creating the ghost of what could be a trail. It was their trail, that little thought brought Gerard a little smile. A quiet danced in the air between them, Gerard wouldn't call it silent, he heard the echos of their footsteps and crunching of leaves beneath their feet. But the absence of their voices gave Gerard a clear head to think about a response to Frank's question. Gerard found it interesting that Frank was asking about a life that probably mirrored his own. There couldn't be that much of a difference, Gerard thought. With the little burst of inspiration of the small animal Gerard continued, "The forest is full of the howling of animals at night, the chirping of the birds at dawn, and of course curious teenagers having some fun" Gerard wiggled his eyebrows, "If you know what I mean." He elbowed Frank with a wink.
"You're disgusting" Frank laughed and shoved Gerard back. "Bold of you to assume I'm getting dicked down in a forest."
"I wouldn't put it past you" Gerard looked down to Frank with a stupid grin. Stupid humor was Gerard's trademark.
"Hey! I-" Frank tried to cut in and defend himself before Gerard continued.
"And Frankie, I thought we agreed you would try to stop cursing around priests." Gerard clicked his tongue, "You just can't control yourself around me, can you?" Gerard smirked yet again. Perhaps innuendos was more on brand with Gerard, though he enjoyed any jokes.
Frank choked on his own spit. "Gerard!" He exclaimed.
"Yes darling?" Gerard responded, he would keep the game going as long as he could. It's been a while since he had someone to laugh with.
"You can't say that! You're supposed to be a holy man, not a who-" Frank didn't get to finish his sentence as Gerard put a finger to his Frank's lips. Frank thought he was offended by Frank's almost complete joke, yet his perception was changed when he looked up to the priest, his fingers still resting on his lips. Frank was about to protest until he saw fear in Gerard's eyes. Frank understood why seconds later when a scream ripped out through the forest, coming from the south side of the dirt trail they were walking down. Gerard moved his hand to Frank's chest to stop him walking forward. Frank turned to face him, Gerard looked down to him. Gerard gathered Frank's hands in his own, and pulled Frank closer to his chest. "What was that Gerard?" Frank asked in a timid whisper, eyes brimmed with terror, head tilted up to look at his priest.
Gerard listened to the screams for help coming from a woman's voice, pulling Frank closer at the horrible sound. The cries echoed eerily through the forest, a chilly wind accompanying them with the taste of dread it the air. At the sound of another scream Gerard protectively wrapped an arm around Frank feeling the boy's rapid breathing in the form his sternum quickly rising and falling against his own. Gerard leaned down to whisper in Frank's ear, "We have to be quiet but, I think we have to leave. Staying in the forest doesn't sound like a safe idea Frank. We're closer to our destination than my house, continue walking down this trail. When we reach the clearing just guide us to your house."
Gerard gently turned Frank around, hands on shoulders, guiding him to continue walking. Frank refused to move, his feet skidding against the earth, digging up dirt around his heels the more he pushed against Gerard. The priest whispered hushed words of reassurance and slid on hand down his back, starting to walk and pulling Frank with him. Frank's reluctancy transformed into eagerness as he thought he heard the screams getting closer. Frank walked briskly with Gerard clinging by his side, not more than a foot away. Gerard knew that they were close the edge, just a slight uphill and a turn to the right they would be at the clearing. Gerard had just spotted the point where the ground started to go upwards when Frank stopped abruptly, haulting Gerard with him as he bumped into the other, almost taking them both down. Gerard's stomach was still pressed against Frank's back from the stumble when he looked over Frank's shoulder; following Frank's shaky finger he saw what he was pointing at, an orange glow off to the left in the forest of where they stopped. "Is that fire?" Frank asked with a timid hesitation.
Gerard nodded his head, which Frank saw through the corner of his eyes, and maneuvered around Frank, straying further away from the path and into the woods. The priest pushed some willow tree branches out of the way and looked. His view wasn't clear, but Gerard believed he saw a huge bonfire circled with red. Wanting to confirm what he was seeing, he pushed the branches away even further, dangerously testing the elasticity of the branches before snapping one with a loud crack. He heard muffled conspiring in the direction he was just gazing in, before seeing four hooded silhouettes emerge from around the fire. His heart dropped in that second, and a cold hand clamped around his wrist, he almost screamed at his heart rate soared, powered by shear terror. Quickly whipping his head around he saw Frank and almost passed out in relief.
"Gerard!" Frank hissed and pulling him out of the woods and back onto the trail. "Don't do that, those people are going to know we're here!" At that statement Gerard cracked his head backwards to see the silhouettes growing closer, and quicker. Glancing back at Frank it was clear he saw it too, his jaw hung open and eyes wide. "Faster Gerard!" They were back on the trail and speed walking towards the hill. The heavy crunching of branches to the side of them told them they were being followed. It was too close for Frank, who hissed "Run!", before grabbing Gerard's hand and taking off in a sprint. Running up the hill slowed them, Gerard tripped halfway up, nearly falling but Frank yanked his hand pulling his whole body with him. Their erratic breathing almost drowned the noise of the pounding footsteps behind them, it seemed they only had a 10 foot difference. Reaching the top of the hill Gerard took the lead on the level ground. Fueled by the adrenaline of fear, Gerard's legs pumped faster as he dragged Frank with him. He could hear the boy panting in pained breathes and cringed, he didn't like Frank suffering. Gerard's rosary beads clanked together as he ran, the rosary swinging wildly as he ran, hitting his chest and his mouth.
They were rounding the last corner as Frank's legs crossed together in an unfortunate act of uncordination and he fell to his knees, Gerard swiftly reacted dragging him quite harshly against the gravel, and hooking his arm under Frank's armpits and running with weight of another body. Frank was able to support himself enough to step along with the priest so all his weight wasn't downing him. The clearing was in sight and the two pushed through with a final burst of adrenaline, running the faster than they ever had before.
They continued running through the clearing, until they were on the main road, that's when Frank finally collapsed to the pavement. He was laying on his back wheezing, Gerard thought he was going to choke. The priest dropped to his knees and lifted Frank into his lap. One arm was resting on Frank's back, rubbing up and down, the heel of the palm digging in his back applying a bit of pressure. His other hand rested softly against Frank's chest, falling up and down with the boy's uneven breathing. "Shhh Frank, it's going to be okay." Gerard wasn't sure who he was trying to convince with that last statement.
Frank shook as he coughed, before finally managing to ask "Are they gone?" In a shaky and raspy voice. Gerard looked up to the clearing, to see the figures staring back at him, just standing there. After five more seconds of staring at each other they slowly disappeared back into the woods.
Gerard looked back down at Frank, contemplating on whether to share the full details. He decided against it, answered "Yeah". Frank coughed and wheezed more as his breathing evened out a bit more. Gerard whispered reassurances such as "Just breathe" as he continued rubbing Frank's back. He scanned Frank's face for acknowledgement, yet he received none as Frank's eyes were shut tightly. The corners of Frank's eyes and mouth crinkled as he continued coughing his lungs up. Frank's hands flew to his throat as he clawed at it. Gerard responded swiftly, bringing Frank's hands into the free one of his own. "Don't do that Frank, you're just going to end up hurting it more." Gerard looked to Frank's throat, a strip of red and irritated flesh ran down from his chin and into his shirt. Gerard cradled Frank closer to him, propping the boy's head against his shoulder. Frank's coughs rattled his head against Gerard's collar bones, hard enough to leave a bruise, he would take the pain to preserve his angel. He had already failed his mission of protecting his angel. He scanned Frank for more injuries, his eyes stopping at Frank's knees. The faded black denim was torn to shreds, little pieces of rock were tangled in the strings. Gerard was certain that those jeans were not ripped before. His knees were torn open, an angry red tone was surrounded by feeling skin; bright red blood rivets were slowly emerging in the center. Pieces of gravel were digging in Frank's torn flesh, a sight Gerard cringed at. "Come on Frank, we have to get you home. Your knees need to be bandaged and cleaned and you need to rest. I'm going to help you get up now, okay?"
Frank nodded against Gerard's shoulder, giving him permission. Frank had wrapped his arms around Gerard's neck, tucking his head in the crook of his shoulders. Gerard moved his free hand to under Frank's knees and slid the other lower down his back. With a grunt Gerard rose to his feet, bumping Frank up slightly with him. Frank made a small noise into his neck, leaving a puff of hot air there. "It's the fir-" Frank coughed jolting the both of them, making Gerard almost lose his footing. "First house on the right" Frank finished with a strained voice and another round of coughing that shook his whole body. Gerard took much pity on the young man, he was responsible for the situation. He dragged Frank across the gravel before yanking him back up. Gerard muttered a quick sorry to him before looking for the house Frank told him about.
His eyes wandered around the neighborhood until he found it, a Victorian style house with a wrap-around white porch. Four black pillars lined the porch with the entrance being to the left of the first one. The doors had two lanterns about head level to it. The off white two story house was a beauty, the American Dream of the fifties. Gerard could even see and attic just below the peak of the roof. He stood in awe, before he finally remembered what he was doing, he was taking Frank home. He walked off of the center of the street and up to the beginning of the property which had a nice stone path leading up to it. A little row of pansies was planted on either side of the path. As Gerard began to walk across the beautiful area, he pictured of a wedding ceremony; walking back down from the aisle of flowers, newly wed bride in his arms. In reality though it was a garden of decaying pansies and a sick boy in his arms, not quite the perfect wedding. Gerard carefully maneuvered his way up the set of stair leading to the porch and set Frank down on a bench carved of rosewood. "Do you have a key?" Gerard asked.
"Under the pot of tulips." Frank rasped. Gerard quickly found it and picked up the pot to find the small silver key, coated in a little dirt. He gently put the pot back and unlocked and opened the door slightly, placing the key in the back pockets of his jeans. He swept Frank back into his arms and pushed the door open with his foot before slowly letting himself in as the door creaked and groaned.
As he walked in his leather shoes squished against the polished wooden floor. He looked at his surroundings, tilting his head up to catch a gothic chandelier lighting the small hallway of the entryway. The whole entire hallway was lined with picture frames, capturing Frank in his more youthful moments, Gerard smiled at such pictures; he was filled with an overwhelming sense of nostalgia, the same kind as breathing in the dust of an old book in an empty library. Gerard's youth was spent with his younger brother Mikey, the two always enjoying each others company despite the occasional sibling fights as expected. Gerard saw one of Frank donning a tie and a scowl, he was in traditional catholic school uniform, he was standing in front of the school called 'St. Mary's School for Young Men', he looked disheveled with messy long brown curls dangling in his eyes, and his shirt partially tucked in, his jacket resting on one shoulder. He had a black and white ribbon sticking out of his pocket, it looked like it said something but Gerard wasn't able to read it from the framed photograph. It must have been his first day at that school, Gerard thought, probably a sophomore or junior, judging by the condescending look of let's get this shit over with Frank wore on his face with a hint of angst. His focus lingered on the old picture before dropping down to look at current Frank. He would have never guessed that Frank went to Catholic school, gazing back at the boy in eyeliner and a Misfits tee shirt.
Frank looped his arms around Gerard's neck again and brought his face to the priest's ear and whispered "My room to the left, furthest one down the hallway" in a voice that could only be compared to the ghost of a two-packs-a-day smoker, very faint but very raspy. Gerard followed his instructions and continued down the entry hallway and turned left into the other. This hallway was longer but the walls were closer together, nearly making Gerard claustrophobic. He was certain he had reached Frank's room when he reached the last door in the hallway, his interactions weren't needed. The door was clearly marked with punk rock imagery in the form of stickers, caution tape was unevenly slapped on his door, along with a sign that read 'Frank's Room: STAY OUT' . Very punk rock- Gerard thought to himself with a smirk and stifled giggle as he tried the door, thankfully not locked. Opening the door was a dangerous hazard that Frank neglected to mention. Frank's room was the messiest he had seen, even messier than when he lived in the basement, and Gerard thought that was bad. Gerard was hoarded in his basement for days on end, leaving only for the bathroom and food, however his was scattered with mostly art supplies and comics. Frank's was somehow worse, clothes strewn everywhere, comics and novels on the floor, guitar picks, and photographs. As Gerard struggled to carry Frank to his bed, he tripped on a stray guitar cord and fell over the foot of Frank's bed, bruising his shins while at it. They both landed with and thunk against the mattress, Frank pinned under Gerard who was still tangled in the guitar cord. Gerard's hands were trapped under Frank from carrying him bridal style, and Frank's arms still were draped around Gerard's neck, a bit stuck in that position as Gerard's shoulders were pinning them down. Frank's face was right in Gerard's neck, Frank's hot and heavy breathing left Gerard a flushed mess. With Gerard's body on top of Frank's and his legs tied up in cord, it could leave the wrong impression if Frank's mother were to walk in. What would he even say, "Oh uh, sorry there Mrs. Iero, I'm not having a BDSM session with your son, just doing local priest stuff" that sounded sketchy and he would be kicked out of the ministry. But luckily for both of them, that didn't happen, and rather an awkward plethora of sorries were exchanged as the tried to maneuver out of the limbo they were caught in. Which once again, looked just as sketchy. That was before Gerard yanked his hands out from under Frank, and used them to plank over him. Frank removed his arms from around the priest's starchy collar and propped himself up on his arms. Frank crawled out backwards underneath Gerard, kneeing him in the gut once or twice, which Gerard winced and Frank responded with small noises of distress. After Frank was out from under Gerard, he wiggled on the bed pathetically with the coordination of seal on land, looking unnatural and uncomfortable. Frank mustered a weak laugh before coughing again and helping Gerard. He grabbed Gerard's hands and pulled him fully onto the bed, sitting to the side of him. The priest sat up, his tangled looks resembling a mermaids tail, it could be a majestic image if Frank's duct tape wasn't the only thing holding it together. Frank moved until he was sitting in front of Gerard and started to work on detangling the elder. Gerard sighed a "thanks" and brushed his long black bangs out of his eyes as he watched Frank weave the cord. Frank's faced was screwed tight in concentration, his thin heart-shaped lips in a pout. Even with a bit of frustration masking his face, Gerard still found it angelic. Frank blew a chocolate strand of hair out of his face and continued working with a huff. As Frank unwound the final length of cord, the metal plug in smacked into his bruises to which Gerard squirmed and stifled a screech. Frank looked up with concern filling those puppy dog eyes, and his perfect pout even more profound. Gerard wanted to capture this moment and draw it, however that was a bit unconventional for the circumstances that they were in. "I'm fine" Gerard dismissed Frank a wave.
"That's good, sounded like you snapped your bones against the frame of the bed." Frank carelessly threw the cord off into the depths of his room. Gerard huffed at that-it sure felt like that- but he didn't tell Frank.
"Yeah but I still am pretty sure I've got bruises the size of a softball" Gerard retorted.
"Hey! You said you were fine. Now I've got to worry about killing a priest. I'm definitely going to hell for that" Frank flopped down on the mattress.
"Oh Frankie, I'm sure that's not the only thing you're going to hell for." Gerard smirked down at Frank who tugged him by his sleeve to lay down next to him.
"How would you know?" Frank smirked back, enjoying the mindless conversation they were having until the sun rose up, or their eyelids fell down. Neither of them were sure of what happened first, but to them that didn't matter.

A/N: Holy shit guys this chapter is 5000 words long, the largest chapter I've written. It takes time, do you prefer shorter chapters more updates or longer chapters and less updates. I origanally planned out thirty chapters for this but that may vary depending on chapter size. I'm going to be going back and editing/rewriting parts of this too

-Alexander