Mad Love Chapter Six

Vote-Comment-Fan, in that order, por favor.

I really love me some votes, peoples. :D

---------------------------------

Jamie and I were left alone at the cabin the next morning, while Dad, Julie and Rob went to load up the boat from the dock. Now that it was Sunday, we would be packing up and leaving. I already had my belongings shoved into my duffel bag, that I had tossed into my Jeep.

We were watching a sitcom, the two of us on opposite ends of the couch. There was a tense happiness between the two of us, if that makes any sense. I didn't want to show him how eager I was for his attention, but I didn't want to play it overly cool, either. Instead, I kept my eyes glued to the screen, but a stupid smile on my face that I couldn't hide. It was while I was grinning like an idiot, blankly staring at a commercial that a throw pillow whacked me in the side of the head.

"Ow!" I said, even though it didn't hurt. I scowled down the length of the couch at Jamie.

He leaned over, reaching out to flick my knee. "C'mon, let's drive down to the lake."

"Really? Just to look at the water?" I liked the idea.

"Yeah. You know of any good spots? It was night when I drove up here, so I can't say that I saw a whole lot of the scenery."

I nodded, "Sure. I know a great place, but it's about fifteen minutes to get there."

He stood up, holding out his hand with a confident smirk. "C'mon princess, we've got time to spare."

We took Jamie's truck. Dear God, I don't think I've seen a truck in such poor condition. "Hey Jamie, what do you call this color?" I asked, looking at the brown pick-up truck. It was probably a late seventies Chevy. The paint was mottled, with severe rust marring the entire length of it.

"Shut up and get in," he said laughingly, but his ears turned red.

"Oh wow, you need a stereo. BAD." I swear, I think that's an eight-track tape player and basic FM radio.

"Maddy, just can it," he said, still laughing. As he cranked the truck, it made a wheezing sound before catching. I couldn't resist.

"Jamie, I hate to tell you this, but I think your truck has asthma."

He didn't comment as he threw the gear shift into reverse. However, without looking at me, he reached over to flop my hair into my face.

I told him where to drive to, and he nodded. I leaned my elbow on the open window of the passenger side, my chin propped on my knuckles. Bright yellow sunlight poured over the trees, with an impossibly blue sky above us. The air was slightly cool, and felt wonderful rushing past my face. I felt like a runaway, or Bonnie and Clyde. God, I'm easy to please.

We pulled up to a small rest area that was empty for the moment. It had several cement picnic tables set up, a deteriorating water fountain, and decent restrooms. Jamie followed me down a worn trail that led to the lake.

"It's really pretty out here. Good spot, Mad," he said, looking out into the water. We were perfectly shaded by large pine trees, and Jamie sat down on thick, lush green grass.

I sat down next to him. "We should have brought some sodas," I told him.

"Eh, well, hindsight is always 20/20. It's fine."

I sat down next to him.

"So, pretty girl, tell me why you're going to college for a bachelor's in business?" Jamie asked, and the question came from left field.