Mad Love Chapter Sixteen

Vote - Comment - Fan!  You know you want to!  You know you do!!!

Sorry for the wait!  I won't give you a million excuses, because if you've read any of my other author's notes, you know I'm a busy gal.  So, here it is - and wonder upon wonders, I've actually gotten a head start on the next chapter!  Hopefully it will see the light of day soon.  :P

I hope everyone had wonderful holidays!  Thank you for all the Christmas wishes, Santa brought me everything I wanted. 

And here you go - Chapter Sixteen!!! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I desperately wanted to call in to work on Monday. The entire time I showered that morning, I ranted in my head how I would call Kathy up, feigning sickness or a near-death accident. Anything to keep me away from Jamie. But my hands didn't falter in applying my makeup, or styling my hair, or choosing my clothes.

I was in complete denial over our weekend encounter. Saturday afternoon I had called Em and given her a run-down on what Jamie had confessed to me and my blow-up with Rob. I still wasn't sure how to process the information, and wasn't ready for Em's analysis. So I didn't wait around to hear what she would say. Let her deal with it.

I gripped my steering wheel tightly, the leather creaking under my hands. I had pulled into the parking lot at work five minutes ago, but I was unwilling to get out of the car.

A shaky breath escaped me as I peered through the windshield at the office. It was still a hazy gray morning outside, and the windows were cheerfully illuminated from within. There was a good chance I wouldn't have to speak to Jamie today, with everyone else around us.

Grabbing my purse, I made the walk to the front door, hesitating again. Kathy smiled at me as I walked in, and we exchanged murmured pleasantries. My eyes frantically searched for any sign of the boss, my head whipping around. If Kathy noticed my paranoia, she didn't comment.

Past her office, past the restrooms, down the hallway. I passed the kitchen and was almost home-free to my office doorway when I slammed into Jamie. He was exiting the kitchen, holding a steaming cup of coffee. He was able to balance himself, not spilling a drop. Out eyes met, mine wide and unprepared.

I had no witty comment or snide remark. Instead I was left with nothing to say, quivering like a scared little girl in the hallway. He didn't move, but he averted his eyes. I don't know what he was expecting from me, but somehow I knew that my reluctance, my pure dumbfounded behavior, and general awkward avoidance had wounded him.

"Sorry," I said under my breath, escaping to the safety of my office. I wasn't even sure what I was apologizing for.

-------------------------------------

"You know, in a sort of twisted way, it's almost sweet."

"Oh, bullcrap, Em. It was not sweet."

"I said in a twisted way," she said, defending herself.

I rolled my eyes, lying down on my bed with the phone glued to my ear. It had been four entire days since going back to work. Jamie and I had managed to avoid each other, smoothly for the most part. There were the occasional brief, strained run-ins. We communicated via Kathy, Brenda, and emails.

"No really, stop and think about it," Em was babbling, "Jamie was pressured into breaking up with you, and the only reason he did it was because he thought he wasn't good enough. So really, he's not that bad."

"Aaargh!" I mock-yelled into the phone. "Em! Jamie might not be bad, but that doesn't make him good, either. And those weren't the only reasons."

"I know, but Rob-"