→𝟷.𝟶𝟼←

Rosie should have known that any feelings of happiness or hope would be fleeting. With all that she had gone through, that was always the case. The second the sun came out in her life, the clouds were soon coming her way, ready to restore the awful balance that was her life. Because of all of that, she shouldn't have trusted Emori. Not even for a second.

For about an hour, Rosie, Murphy, and Emori had all worked together to drag the cart. Although her feet ached and she kept getting splinters from the jagged wood handle, she pushed on, never even daring to complain. Murphy and the grounder woman joked and teased endlessly, while Rosie simply listened in, as she had been accustomed to. She found a small smile on her face at the thought of a perfect city, with these two. Perhaps things weren't so bad after all. Then, of course, that thought came crashing down.

"Chancellor look out!" A voice bellowed, causing Rosie to stop in her tracks.

Up ahead, on top of one of the sand dunes, was a masked man holding what looked to be a rocket launcher. A lump formed in her throat as she saw it pointed at their group, finger on the trigger, ready to fire at any time. One of those things alone could wipe out their entire group.

Almost instinctively, John's hand was trying to push his way in front of Rosie. They had been walking with Rosie and John on one handle, her in front, and Emori on the other. Rosie managed to block and stop him, knowing any quick movements were a bad idea. In no time, Jaha was slowly inching forward with his hands in the air, ready to play peacemaker as always.

"Hold your fire!" He commanded.

In what felt like half a second, Rosie was being jerked forward, away from the group, with a thin blade pressed to her neck. She hadn't even had time to process what was happening as her boots skid in the sand, trying to find their footing as she was dragged along. She knew she felt John's hand trying to stop it, but he must have backed off when he saw the blade as well as the intent in the assailant's eyes. She glanced up for the first time, already knowing who had grabbed her but not wanting to accept it. Emori avoided her gaze as she finally made it past the rest of the group.

"Everybody put your weapons and supplies in the cart, and nobody gets hurt." She demanded, shaking a pistol in her free hand.

Rosie wondered how she could always be so wrong, so clueless to how people really were. Whenever she let her guard down, she ended up with a knife in her back, or in this case, against her throat. Her mind immediately went to Bellamy, and how she knew he was the one person who would never hurt her. Then again, he left her, without even telling her, so perhaps she truly had no one.

"If we give you our supplies, we'll all die out here." Jaha seethed, hands falling to his sides.

"If you don't you'll die, right here." Emori taunted, pressing the blade deeper into Rosie's neck. She had finally begun to draw blood, and the sight seemed to shake Jaha to his senses.

"Do as she says, now!"

Emori loosened her grip, only slightly, as the group began to unload their weapons and supplies. Behind them, the grounder man called out something in a foreign language, and Emori responded. Rosie let her eyes rest on Murphy, who looked as though he was about to explode. A fear grew inside of her as she remembered how reckless he was, and she hoped he wouldn't try anything crazy to save her.

"How's your faith holding up now, chancellor?" Murphy asked through clenched teeth as he unloaded his backpack into the cart.

"Shut up!" Emori called out.

"Unwavering," Jaha replied firmly while looking Murphy in the eyes. Then, he turned his head back to the assailants and began to slowly make his way forward. "You don't want to do this."