→𝟷.𝟷𝟻←

*A/N: IMPORTANT MESSAGE AT THE END, PLEASE READ*

Rosie stood on her tiptoes, glancing over John's shoulder as he divided up the rest of the rations. He rolled his eyes as she knocked into him for the fifth time and she whispered as sheepish 'sorry.'

"Do you really have to watch me? You don't trust me?" Murphy complained, pausing what he was doing to glance back at the girl.

"Yes, I have to watch," She crossed her arms over her chest.

Murphy wanted to argue with her, but he knew there was no point. Plus, he had to admit, she kind of had a point. The girl had grown frighteningly thin since the start of the trip, plus with her recent bought of fainting, all he wanted was to give her all of the rations. But, she wouldn't have that. So, she watched him and he was forced to make them even.

The girl walked from around Murphy and hoisted herself up onto the counter, turning her head so she could watch him while she sat. Every time she would look away or get distracted by something, Murphy found himself absentmindedly staring at her, almost like he was lost in a daydream. When she'd glance back he'd hurry himself to look away and re-focus on what he was doing.

John Murphy wasn't someone who opened up easily, or someone who liked to admit when he cared for someone. But, after the other day, he was finding it harder and harder to deny. He had feelings for Rosie Goldsman, even if she was way too good for him. She deserved the world, and if she felt the same way about him, he planned to give it to her.

The only problem was, despite having hope, he wasn't completely sure that she felt the same way. Rosie had essentially spent her transformative years locked up completely alone, so he wasn't even sure she'd ever want or need a romantic relationship. He knew there were signs that she could feel the same way, little things that he had picked up on through the time that they had spent together, but he felt like he couldn't be sure. Underneath his confident, jackass facade, he was really unsure of himself.

"What're you looking at?" Rosie mused, her lips tugging upward into a shy grin. She had caught him staring at her, and it wasn't long before both were a similar shade of red.

"Oh, uh, nothing," Murphy shook his head, forcing himself to focus on the task at hand. He was nearly done, but he was taking his time. He had a plan for how the evening would go, and with his nerves stepping in he was trying to prolong it as long as possible.

"You're so slow," Rosie whined, letting her head lull to the side as she eyed him. She knew she would have been done 20 minutes earlier.

"Oh shush, I'm making sure I do it right," Murphy defended, the small smile on his lips letting her know that he wasn't really mad.

Rosie kept finding herself thinking about how different things were for her lately. She had never met someone she was so comfortable around like John. Of course, she was comfortable around Bellamy, but it wasn't the same. Bellamy was like her older brother. She loved him, she would do anything for him, and he made her feel safe. But, he wasn't John. With John, she felt like she could joke, and laugh, and not have to have any walls up at all. The majority of her life, she felt like this locked box missing her key, but it was like John had found it. She just opened right up.

She also repeatedly found herself thinking about what exactly their relationship was. She thought back to her sleeping on his chest on the beaches, or all the nights they'd slept wrapped up in one another since being in the bunker. She thought about the way he kissed her forehead, and how the feeling seemed to linger there for moments after. All of those things she craved, which was another distinction from Bellamy, because she definitely didn't want that with him.