07

Charlie

After breakfast we got our rollerblades on and met the team at the mall. We were skating through doors and people. Pretty funny if you ask me. Fulton was finally with us. Coach was teaching him to skate. We skated through shops and people and everything we came across.

Callie, Connie and Tammy stopped at a store and stared at this dress. "Hey girls! Come on! No time for shopping!" I yelled at them. They rolled their eyes and skated back towards us. "Charlie, hold your ground!" Callie yelled. She jumped on my back and we were laughing. She got off and skated back to Connie and Tammy. Typical Callie...

After going to the mall, we headed to the rink to practice. There was a box full of jerseys and one was spread out on top. "Looks like we're kicking it up a notch." Callie whispered to me. I nodded in response.

Coach held up the jersey for us to see. It was a dark shade of green and had a duck wearing hockey gear. It said in bold letters, 'Ducks' below the hockey-playing duck. "The ducks?" Jesse asked. "We're the ducks?!" He asked again. Callie had to stifle a laugh and I nudged her for it.

"Man, what brain came up with that name?" Peter laughed. "As a matter of fact I did. I didn't have a choice. We're being sponsored." Coach said. "By who? Donald and Daisy?" Averman laughed. We all laughed along. "Looks like Disney's having a charity case." Callie whispered to me as I continued to struggle holding in my laughter.

"Hey! If you don't want to be ducks, you wanna be District 5? Some stupid number?" Coach asked. "Better than some stupid animal." Peter chuckled. "I'll have you know Peter, that the duck is on of the most noble, agile, intelligible creatures in the animal kingdom." Coach explained.

"But they're wimpy." Connie said. "They don't even have teeth!" Guy finished. Oh they finish each others' sentences now? How nice. Callie nudged me when she caught me looking at Connie. I gave her a look of annoyance in return.

"Neither do hockey players. Have you ever seen a flock of ducks flying in perfect formation? It's beautiful! Pretty awesome the way they all stick together. Ducks never say die. Ever seen a duck fight? No way. Why? Because animals are afraid. They know, if they mess with one duck, they gotta deal with the whole flock." Coach explained.

He took off his scarf and jacket and he was wearing his own Ducks jersey! "I'm proud to be a Duck. And I'd be proud to fly with any one of you." Coach said. "So how 'bout it! Who's in?" Coach asked. There was awkward silence until Fulton spoke up.

"I'll be a Duck." He said. "Yeah, me too." I said then handed mom my stick. "Me three!" Callie laughed. We all stood up and got our jerseys. I looked at mine. Conway 96. I looked over at Charlotte's. She had a 97 on hers. "Here's to being 90's!" Callie smiled. "90's!" I cheered.

"Now we're the Ducks!" Coach yelled. "Yeah!" We all cheered. "The Mighty Ducks!" Coach yelled again. "Yeah!" We all cheered. "What are we?" Coach yelled. "The Ducks!" We replied.

We had a game right after against the Cardinals, and we warmed up by throwing footballs at each other. "Every time you hit the puck you're the quarter back. Talk to the receiver, let him know it's coming!" Coach said. "Come on guys this isn't a library! Talk to each other!" Coach added.

"Callie!" I yelled as I threw the football. "Charlie!" Callie yelled as she threw it back at me. "Averman!" I yelled as I threw the football at him. He caught it then Jesse threw one at me. "Spazway!" He yelled. I caught the ball then coach had us clear the rink so that Fulton could practice shooting pucks at the goal.

He started shooting. One got in. "Hey! Look at that! He got one!" Callie smiled. He shot some more and it went all over the place. "Yeah, that was just one, Cal." I told her. "But he's a strong shooter." She shrugged.

My sister always looked on the brighter side of things. She was always the kinder and more understanding one between us. Except when it came to Banks, her blood boils up. But nonetheless, she's the better twin. It's a fact but then she'd say it's me even though it's her.

After Fulton practiced shooting, the referee blew his whistle. Coach gathered us around. "Alright, let's forget the past. We lost a few games, tough. But that was District 5, now we're the Ducks! And the Ducks are undefeatable." Coach said. We all agreed.

"Quack. Quack. Quack." Coach chanted. "Quack. Quack. Quack! Quack!" We chanted along. "Gooo Ducks!" We all cheered.

The game went by so fast, I barely even remember a thing. All I remember clearly was Callie screaming my name after she got checked in by a Cardinal boy. Guy and Fulton jumped over the bench. I skated over to the guy and pushed him. "Hey watch it! That's my sister." I yelled at him.

He just laughed. "Yeah, I noticed." He chuckled. He skated away and Callie was holding back tears. Guy and Fulton helped her up. I grabbed her left hand and she screamed. "Charlie no!" She yelled. Fulton wrapped her better arm around him as we assisted her to the bench. "Owww!" She yelped. Coach opened the box and we sat her down.

"My wrist." She panted. I took off her helmet and her other glove. I looked at her wrist and it was really red. "Charlie, back on the ice!" Coach said."We'll win this, Callie. You hold on!" I smiled. She gave me a thumbs up before I skated back

Next thing I know, even Karp is out. Damn it! "Okay, Ducks! We still got a chance here. Connie, Jesse, Terry, Guy, time for the secret weapon. And Fulton, remember, just like we talked about."

By the end of the game it was a 2-2! And that was it! The game ended and we're tied with the Cardinals.

+++

We got home and Lottie's eyes were real puffy. "Now can you explain to me what happened without crying?" I asked Callie as we got in my room. "I was about to pass the puck to Guy until this guy from the Cardinals checked me into the wall. I blocked him with my wrist and his stick hit it hard." She explained.

"Anything broken?" I asked. "No. It's fine, I guess. There's a sprain and I have to be off the ice for a few days. I'll be back when the swelling and pain are gone." She smiled. "There's my sister." I smiled and gave her a hug.

"Charlie, ow!" She squeaked. I let go and remembered her wrist. "Whoops! Sorry, Callie! And it's a good thing they put a bandage around it too!" I smiled. "Why?" She asked. "So I could do this." I said and grabbed a marker. I drew a smiley face on it with my sister's jersey number.

I closed the cap of the marker and she smiled at it. "Thanks, Spazway." She smiled. "Anytime, clutz!" I replied.