12

Callie

We had a game against the Hornets today. After coach took us to the Star's arena, we all suddenly had this motivation to win and play better. Banks seems to have warmed up to the team. I saw him chatting with a few of the guys. Charlie and I mostly kept him company.

During the first part of the game Banks and I were in. I always made sure to watch his back whenever he had the puck. I had the job of watching people's backs but now it's Banks' since he always had the puck. As we approached the net, my whole self tensed. But we all knew but to yell at Banks to shoot. In a split second he scored! We all cheered and the crowd went wild. We collided in a hug along with the other guys on the ice before we carried on with the game.

Coach made sure to keep Charlie, Banks and I together whenever he put us in. He called us the Golden Trio or some sort. We had our time to shine and so did the other guys.

I kept being pushed by the boys and they kept tugging on my braids. Of course I'd retaliate by pushing back. But that didn't stop me from gaining tons of bumps, cuts and bruises.

Banks and I were benched for the last portion of the game. We had a chance to win this! The score was 4-3 and we didn't need anymore goals to win. But Charlie immediately got the puck and he scored! 5-3 for the Ducks! We all cheered in victory as the buzzer went off. Banks and I gave each other a huge padded hug before we turned to coach and our teammates.

"Come on! Let's go shake their hands! Show 'em what sports we are!" Coach cheered as we all jumped out. Both our teams formed lines and we shook hands. When we finished, we all burst out in cheers again!

Charlie, Banks and I caught each other in a huge victorious hug. "Alright Banks! That was awesome!" I cheered. "Thanks to you two! You're both pretty neat!" He smiled. "Don't be modest." Charlie smiled as he nudged Banks.

+++

After the game, the three of us hung out at Mickey's. The rest of the team headed home while me and Charlie accompanied our mom since she needed to work. Truth be told, Banks just joined in.

"Don't you wanna go home yet?" I asked Banks as we all took a seat in one of the booths. "Nah. Not just yet." He replied. "So what's the deal? What made you transfer? I mean, I'm not complaining. Just curious." Charlie piped. "Charlie..." I warned.

"No it's fine. Apparently they redrew the district lines and I've been living on district five territory all along." Banks shrugged. "Well, we gained a good player. It's the Hawks' loss." Charlie said. "Yeah, they lost a good player and a good guy." I smiled. "Thanks." Banks sheepishly smiled.

Mom gave us fries and cokes while we chatted. "So you've been playing hockey since when?" Charlie asked. "For a long time, actually. My brother was a Hawk so it kinda runs in the family. We're all hockey players." He shrugged. "What about you guys?" He asked.

"I've been playing for a while now. Callie just started tagging along recently." Charlie answered. "Charlie plays more than I do. He's the one who wants to play for a pro team." I added. "No way me too! My life revolves around hockey. What about you, Callie?" Banks beamed.

I shrugged. This was not part of the plan. I felt like I was on the hot seat or something! Why'd I even have to bring pros up in the first place?! Geez, Conway!

"Sure... I guess." I said quietly. Banks and Charlie's eyes grew wide. "This is new." Charlie said. "What do you mean, 'I guess?' Coach has you on the ice for most of the game." Banks said. "Yeah, 'cause I back people up." I said.

"So what? You're a key factor to our game play!" He replied. "I thought you like liked hockey, Cal." Charlie frowned. "I do. I like it, honestly." I answered. "Then what's the matter?" He asked. Both my brother and Banks shot me worried eyes. I was afraid that I was already disappointing them.

"I don't know. I guess it's just that all these girls are taking ballet or joining an art class or whatever. Then there's me, Callie Conway, playing hockey with boys." I pouted as I tightened my grip on my can of Coke. Charlie and Adam looked at each other sadly then to me.

"Callie, there's nothing wrong with playing hockey with boys. I'm pretty sure that it's a real cool thing to go neck-to-neck with boys for a puck." Charlie said. "Yeah! We think you, Connie and Tammy are awesome for playing hockey! It's not every day you meet a girl who plays the sport." Banks smiled.

"For a minute there, I actually hoped we'd be NHL's Golden Trio." He added. "Women's hockey is another thing." I pointed out. "USA's Golden Trio." He corrected himself. I chuckled and felt a bit better.

"Imagine it, Cal, the whole crowd going wild seeing us three enter the rink first or one of us shooting the winning goal." Charlie pushed. I thought about it. Banks shooting the winning goal then me and Charlie come up to hug him first. "Seems interesting." I shrugged with a smile. "Well, you know our stand. We'll leave the thinking to you." Charlie said.

I liked imagining us being USA's Golden Trio or even coaching a team with them on it. I actually liked playing hockey. "Don't get too caught up thinking about what others think, Callie." Banks said before I lost myself in my thoughts again. He and Charlie started chatting but I zoned out.

Okay maybe I should give hockey a chance. It's not like I'd die if the other girls at school think I'm weird for playing with the boys. Plus, if anything, I've got a coach and a team of mostly boys to back me up. Not to mention Connie and Tammy who can get really tough. Maybe I'll go for hockey. I'm not seeing anything wrong with it so far.

"Then I he was like 'Ducks don't have teeth,' so coach was like 'Neither do hockey players,'" I heard my brother narrating as I zoned back in. "This the jersey story?" I asked. Banks and Charlie nodded. "This is a real comedy." Banks smiled. "Agreed." I said as I munched down some fries.

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

i apologize for a delay in the update. ive started watching Dawson's Creek last week and wow! joshua jackson is so cute as pacey! they made a witty reference about tmd there too lol