01 - sugar teeth

-

-

There's a fine line between absolute heartbreak and disappointment. Unfortunately, Iris Kepley refused to leave the grey, as it's a comfort zone that blamed neither herself or the boy who just made rounds at his locker as if it was just another school day to wish her good morning.

Don't be disappointed in her though, anybody could fall for Lee Jeno. She did, obviously.

Jeno made it feel as if she was dancing within a crater of the moon. A solitude of paradise in a vast spectrum of the unknown where it was as if the two had created a tiny world for frolicking and kissing each other's rosy cheeks. But his words lingered like flower petals in the palms of her hands, carried off by a breath from nature to forever linger within the universe to God knows where.

Where would they go? Will they follow Jeno to haunt him like the sack of trash that Jaemin insisted on?

"How the hell can you call your best friend that?" Iris asked, fingers tugging at the handkerchief Jaemin had offered her in the hallway after seeing the girl make a straight dash to the janitor's closet. If it wasn't for grabbing the sleeve of the jacket tied around her hips, surely she would've locked yourself in the room to wail at the mop sticks until after hours at school, leaving Iris to then venture outside and bounce up and down on the seesaw still on the property from when the school tutored children below the age of twelve.

It was whimsical, begging for a time that was more simpler and everyone thought everyone had the cooties.

"Because he pulled that right out of his butt," Jaemin replied, chewing on a piece of gummy, peach candy from a bag in his slacks pocket. The lil' sandwich baggie was always chocked full of either sugar cubes or fruit snacks, a telltale sign that all his teeth would be replaced with veneers by the time he's thirty.

Iris felt as if she could vomit her heart right onto the desktop in front of the two of them. Her esophagus begged for some sort of relief from the constricting dialogue Jeno left behind at only nine a.m. sharp that morning, but she forced the impending sobs down by patting at her eyes with the ivory cloth held within grasp.

"Cheer up, won't you?" He scoffs, seeing as her face was still puffed up from being contorted and mushed with whatever emotions were trying to sculpt themselves for relief. Don't get Jaemin wrong, he knew that was the body's only way of coping with grief (but grieving over that dumbass?).

Truthfully, he was damn near appalled. But Iris couldn't know that, no one could. Not even Jeno.

Why? Silly, you don't take candy-topped romances for real any time before you're twenty.

He knew saying so would twist the invisible knife lodged in his classmate's chest even more than it already had done, so he just rocked back and forth in his chair, flipping open the written notes for when Mr. Bravo decided to not be more tardy than half his students.