03 - extra puntos

-

-

The next day wasn't any better. Jaemin nearly forgot the whole tragic opera that went down in the halls just the morning before, leading him to eye the chair next to him with not even the ghost of Iris present in the Spanish classroom.

The bubbling melody of Kahoot! resonated from the speakers in the classroom, which was basically the dinner bell for the much needed points Iris Kepley could use on her shit grades. It was a simple tool Mr. Bravo used to get his students to actually participate, and the bonus was that if you won the round, you got the 'extra puntos'.

Jaemin slapped his phone over and over again into the palm of his hand, craning his neck around to see if Iris had snuck in somehow. His anticipation was rewarded at one point, only to then discover that it was only Yang Yang crip walking back to his seat along to the Kahoot! music after using the restroom.

Jaemin's lunch period was next. He only shared that span of time with Yeonjun, who slid into the seat across from in a motion like a river splashing against a taupe shore before beginning to unbutton his mustard blazer.

Underneath, his handmade 'Don't be Mean, Go Green!' tie-dyed shirt screamed in it's bright hues before he crumpled up the removed article and sat it in the seat next to him. His shadow curtained Jaemin just from the sheer girth of his height. It was no wonder he was given the nickname Jolly Green Giant.

Jaemin watched as Yeonjun squirted an amount of blueberry-scented hand santizer along his fingers that was enough to go around the whole cafeteria. Caked up dirt was evident along the edges of his fingernails, so Jaemin assumed that he stopped by the school's vegetable garden before paying for his lunch.

The boy across from him didn't know the rundown of what went on with Jeno, considering he was in home economics with Mr. Shakespeare. For all Yeonjun knew, the other was still a hopeless romantic for Ms. Kepley.

"Well that explains it," Yeonjun commented without moving his lips too much. He bit into a green apple while Jaemin paused midway into spooning out the rest of his pineapple chunked yogurt.

"Why, did he make a kingly announcement after the ordeal?" Jaemin said, his voice raising an octave at the trail of his sentence. It was pretty obvious he didn't care about the gossip that was about to be shared, but maybe there was something else Yeonjun could shed light on.

"More like I witnessed the downfall of Ivy," his friend coughed out a laugh with a mouthful of apple. His typical round eyes curved into slits that had Jaemin also narrowing his eyes.

Lordy. . . now she's just embarrassing herself.

"It's Iris. And what's that supposed to mean?"

Yeonjun got the hint of an odd defense in Jaemin's tone, making him sit a bit straighter while twirling his apple core using the stem. "She's spread eagle on the playground, man. I saw her when walking back in from the garden." He nudged his head over to the left. "I don't know, isn't she in biology this year or something? Or am I thinking of Cleo?"