Chapter 5 - Meeting Elena

Stefan sighed, you couldn't help but fidget in the chair. It had been decided without much of your input, that you would meet with Elena alongside Damon and Stefan and discuss the cure that resided inside your blood. It was infuriating that you hadn't got a chance to say no - Damon made sure of that. Even with Stefan on your side, fighting your corner, you still felt nerves twisting violently within your stomach.

"Earth to (Y/N)." Damon rolled his eyes and waved his hand in front of your face, you snapped back to reality.

"What?" You snapped, your tone was a little brasher than you had intended but you didn't want to apologise. Damon kind of deserved it with the way he was treating you.

"How does the cure work?" Elena mumbled. You glanced at her. You could see hope within her eyes, her whole demeanour screamed how nervous she was about this, how scared she was that this was all a cruel joke.

"I don't know exactly, all I know is I was given a small vial of liquid, I drank it and I'm human. I do know, if you take all of my blood, you will age rapidly and die as a human." You explained what you did know, co-operation might be the lifeline you needed, so you decided to co-operate.

"Okay, what about if we take a small sample of your blood? Then we can see if we can replicate the cure?" Elena asked you, how were you supposed to know if that would work? You weren't a scientist.

"I mean, you can try but I do know the cure was made by a witch so magic must be involved." you shrugged.

"We know a witch so if we can see what makes the cure maybe Bonnie can replicate it?" Elena smiled at Damon who nodded slowly.

"Let's go then." Damon rose to his feet, he reached for your arm but you snatched it away.

"Do not touch me." You hissed, Damon chuckled as he watched you grow angrier by the second.

"Damon. Leave her alone. I'll take her to get her blood tests done." Stefan put his hand on his brother's shoulder. "I know you want this, for you and Elena but being rude and making (Y/N) feel afraid and that her own life isn't in her own hands. If this does work, (Y/N) will be the reason you and Elena can have your happily ever after. Do you really want to start this off with being cruel?" Stefan moved in front of you, he held out his hand, offering to help you stand. You cautiously accepted his offer, placing your hand in his. He pulled you gently, to your feet.

"Sorry," Damon grunted, almost completely under his breath. Elena giggled at Damon.

"I'm sorry Damons' been so rude to you. (Y/N) If this works... you're giving me back my humanity. I will be forever grateful." Elena gave you a genuine smile. Elena didn't bother you, in fact you kind of liked her. She seemed genuine and kind deep down, it was just the recklessness and abruptness of Damon that made you feel angry. Like you wanted to strangle the shit out of him, but you refrained. After all, you were a perfectly competent vampire hunter, you could probably really hurt him with the Vervain grenades and wooden bullets but against your better judgement you held back, you refused to be controlled by your anger.

"It's fine." You shrugged, you didn't want to get into it all just yet, in case the anger that you were holding back came to the surface and they realised, that your vampire hunter instincts were telling you to kill them all...well most of them. You felt Stefan's large hand on your shoulder. Glancing at him you saw his kind, brown eyes looking at you, watching you. You couldn't decide whether or not it was a little creepy.

"Are we going now?" You asked. Stefan nodded.

After having 4 or 5 vials of blood taken, you just wanted to get home, grab a hot shower and curl up on the sofa with your favourite boxset. Stefan handed you an energy drink.

"Oh I'm fine." you shook your head and refused the drink.

"If you don't have something sugary, you might feel light headed and I don't want you almost passing out when I walk you home." Stefan raised an eyebrow at you, you sighed and accepted the drink.

"You don't have to walk me home, I'm fine." You shrugged as you opened the drink, "I do know my way around town you know." you rolled your eyes, you didn't mean to be so difficult but you knew you had to keep Stefan at a distance. There was something about him, something that made you want to pull down your walls, something that made you want to be vulnerable. That's why you had to be careful, vampires... nothing good could come from falling in love with a vampire.

"I don't have to walk you home, no." Stefan perched on the end of the bed, those deep brown eyes looking into yours. You felt your heart rate quicken ever so slightly. Desperate not to let Stefan hear, you began coughing to cover it. "You okay?" he frowned.

"Yeah, the drink just tickled my throat. Fizzy drinks burn my throat if I drink them too quickly," you said between your fake cough. You sat up straight and placed the drink on the bedside table.

"As I said, I don't have to walk you home, I know that." Stefan sighed. "You've had blood drawn and even though it's a small wound, it's still an open wound. Vampires would be able to smell it and we've had a few cases of vampires around here who we don't know. They're coming in from different towns, they think because it's a small town, they can do what they want. So yes, I am walking you home. I'm making sure you get home safe." Stefan smirked.

"So you're making sure I'm getting home safe because I'm too valuable right? Because I am this elusive cure." you shrugged. You knew that was the reason why, and that was fine by you. So why did you feel a pang of disappointment when you realised it?

"No. There is something about you (Y/N) that I don't quite understand. (Y/N), you are very intriguing." Stefan smiled softly. This was the moment you knew, you were screwed. The way he looked at you, the way your heart violently thrashed within your chest... there was nothing good that could come from falling for a vampire... right?