[Chapter 7: Kryptonite]

Axel.

Everything slowed down in my eyes. The expression he wore bore complete similarities to that of the friend who betrayed me a long time ago. It was impassive, cold and unrecognizable. My worst fears had come true.

As soon as Axel entered, they activated the honey-combed dome. The scene of white dissolved into a familiar forest. The very forest Axel had shown his true colors.

Bermuda.

“Axel... You’re not in control of yourself. I don’t want to fight you!” I tried to reason with him.

I heard his screams last night. They were torturing him. Even back then, those disgusting aliens controlled him. He never wanted to do this. I hoped so. The genuine words he spoke to me, promising me we would make through this together was not a lie.

“How long do you plan on holding onto your false hopes, Laila?” Axel said. He did not have a weapon in his hand and stalked around me casually.

“They are not false hopes,” I retorted.

“How do you plan on defeating an entire legion of vastly advanced beings? I know what they’re capable of. What you have witnessed is only but the beginning,” he spoke with almost pride towards the ruthless extraterrestrials.

I clenched my fists, “Axel, I know this is not you. I saved you once, I can do it again,” I said, determined.

Axel chuckled, a cold mirthless laugh. He stopped circling me like a vulture and stood before me. “But what if I said I was lying to you this entire time? What you thought was me bearing my soul to you, was but a facade to earn your trust,” he said tracing my jawline.

He spoke with utmost confidence, it caused my heart to ache. Was it all a lie? I felt pain stab my already hopeless self.

“I don’t believe you,” I muttered, remembering him just last night, pressing a kiss on my lips, promising me we would get out of here together.

“You promised,” I whispered looking into his eyes, channeling my emotions into him, hoping he would remember the words he said back in the past. The words that made me believe in him.

“I need you to promise me. No matter what happens, you would never betray me,” I whispered.

“I promise. Kill me if I turn back on my word,” he said.

We stared at each other for a long moment, before he gave me a small smile.

“Are you planning to kill me then?” he asked,"To fulfil my promise?"

I clenched my fists till my body trembled. I could not kill him. He knew that. I was incapable. I loved him too much. It was frustrating, being so pathetic.

He cupped my cheek and leaned forward his lips grazing my ear. It was not gentle, it felt cold and menacing.

But his words shocked me. They were so quietly spoken, I had to do a double take.

“They’re evaluating your brain signatures.”

He then proceeded to tackle me to the ground, initiating a hand to hand combat with me. I kicked forward and leapt onto my feet, my fists ready. Axel did not hesitate to strike, his movements sharp and precise. I dodged each blow, not going into offense mode. The smell of smoke filled my nostrils triggering memories from the battle in Bermuda. Aircrafts crashing from the sky  tremors to erupt in the ground.

I flipped back, and clasped my hands on a tree branch providing leverage to swing myself forward and kick Axel in the chest. He grabbed onto my ankles as I did so and pulled me down to the ground with him. I rolled onto my back, but before I could push myself up, Axel had pinned me down his body above mine.

“You’re weak, Laila. Both physically and mentally. It seems their plans have been working,” he said with a smile of malice.

I struggled in his grasp. I was weaker. All the strenuous experimentation over the weeks and wore me down. My muscles had degraded, I had little to no energy within me and was relying solely on adrenaline to fight.

“Give up, Laila. Give up.”

The words shook me through my core. Give up. Was that even an option?

"Never. Not with everything at stake, not-"

Give up,” he said again. However this time, I noticed the strain in his voice. He was not taunting. His voice was low and urgent. But as soon as it came, his expression returned to the cold and heartless traitor.

I stopped struggling in his grasp. Axel was trying to tell me something. Give up, this battle?

“Why fight when you’ve already lost?” he began to taunt. But his eyes, his bright green eyes, spoke to me sans words.

Fake it till you make it.

I began to cry. I did not know how I did it. But I did. I let myself go. Surrendered to Axel’s tight grasp. I let tears roll down from my eyes, I thought of horribly sad things just to push them out of my tear ducts.

“That’s right, Laila. You’ve lost. Humanity will return to obey their rightful rulers. But don’t worry it is not your fault. You were forced to fight a battle with a victor already decided. You are but another victim,” he said. This time I knew all his words were a lie, this betrayal an act.

“I’m tired, Axel. I’m tired of fighting,” I said through sobs.

He gently wiped the tears from my face,"I know. So rest. Surrender. We can go home. Together," he said with a wry smile.

The honeycomb dome began to turn back to white. The forest disappearing, the scent of fire gone.

A job well done, Axel. Now allow us to do the rest.

The voice blared from the speakers. I heard the doors shift, guards entering to escort me out. I glanced at Axel, still atop me, and in that split second I saw him cover a circular device on his collar.

“I’ve regained their trust. Just endure for a little longer. I promise,” he said in a haste leaning close to me as he spoke so softly.

Without a moment to respond, I felt Axel press a quick kiss beside my ear before standing. The guards pulled me to my feet and cuffed my hands. Axel gave me one impassive glance before striding out of the chamber.

“Till next time, Laila,” he muttered.

I watched him leave. Axel was still on my side. That was more than enough to relieve me. I felt the adrenaline wear off, my body went limp. The guards hoisting me up were all that were keeping me upright.

Before getting pulled out of the chamber, I saw Oprius exit the control room followed by a few others and Rys. Her eyes met mine and a silent conversation took place.

She reassured me. This was all part of the plan.

We were getting deeper into this web. Trust and betrayal. Choosing sides. I had formed unlikely alliances. But all in all, I was getting out of here.

Wait for me. I’m coming.

-------------------------------
A/N: Yes, I’m alive. I was busy with life and editing my other story ‘Peter Pan The Killer’ to be submitted for the Watty’s. (Check it out if you have the time 🙏)

Sorry for the late update. I will drop the next update in two weeks. Stay tuned.