[Chapter 9: Neocolonialism]

Striding around Atlantis, felt like it was too good to be true. Clad in alien armor, I walked along the paths I was very familiar with. If I were the leader of operations, where would I be?

General A-Roz's chamber. The top-most space that overlooked all of Atlantis. I had only been there once before for a small matter. I guessed it was where Oprius and his scheming plotters would be.

The aliens had kept me in containment in the SOM5 development building. Stepping out of the place without shackles or guards holding me down, it took all my resolve to not grab the nearest aircraft and flee the island. I saw some guards travel about the city via the Atlantean HVs- the hovercrafts. I knew how there worked, hence sliding into an empty one and zipping into the city proved to be easy. I travelled between the tall black buildings, some damaged, some still stood tall. The library, the ring of five cylinders, was intact. The place hoisted too much precious knowledge to be destroyed, even the aliens knew that much. My heart clenched, remembering General A-Roz when he brought me to the AXA telescope observatory dome in the library. I could not let him down.

I neared the single-pointed tower at the heart of Atlantis. Parking my HV, I manipulated the guards to let me in. The glass elevator was dimly lit by white lights, the glow eerie. I stepped in and rode all the way to the highest floor. Upon reaching, I stalked towards the tall double doors. I heard voices. They were speaking in their own alien language, not their automated robotic English.

The Akashic did not even need my orders before two of its strings wrapped around my wrists enabling me to understand them. They did the same back in the past as well.

Now the voices were a comprehendible argument.

"The device is far from complete! We hardly have any time left. They are coming and here we are vulnerable," said a voice. It was low and crackly.

"Testing on the girl is still more crucial than you would expect, Gryvl," another voice interrupted, a higher-pitched woman, probably.

"Let me restate that we have gotten nowhere near fruitful with whatever experimentation we intended. I suggest we focus our energy on the activator rather than some experiment without promising results!" Gryvl snapped back.

A clap resounded and all the chatter paused. "Ah, but indeed we have found something interesting. The activator has an ancient opponent that might just trump it in its task, and the girl is the key to it. Both projects will go on as planned, no objections. The Isyr are still light years away, it would take at least months," the voice was a low, authoritative bellow. Prius.

The others mumbled amongst themselves, no choice but to agree with their leader. Soon they were filtering out of the room one by one. I tried my best to bring myself up ninja-style to the ceiling and held on for dear life. Once the generals had left into the cylinder I gracefully leapt down, trying to make my landing as silent as possible.

"Father, can I ask you something?" A soft voice of a girl spoke.

It had to be Rys.

"What is it?" Her dictator father responded.

"Is it so important to take control of a race that is not ours? Risk so many of our soldiers for a battle we don't even need to take part in?"

I knew Rys was different. She had ideas and virtues that contradicted her father. She told me as much. But hearing her say them to her father without my presence, at least helped to elevate the degree of trust I had in her. My cautions were still up, however.

"This conquest, my dear, has been fought for eons. It is in our nature to do so. As it is a game in the universe, to kill... Or be killed. I am doing what it takes to protect our people. The cosmos is a dangerous place, Rys. If you don't learn to point a weapon at the others, you will doom your people as it is," Prius said, with such pride in his words, I was disgusted. However, it irked me.

What he spoke of was not very different from the humans' perspective. We strived for power, colonizing, bringing down civilizations. These aliens were the same. As much as our appearances differed, all intelligent life greedily needed to rule over others.

"The Assembly. You merely want power over the other races," Rys said.

"The Assembly is a bonus. Our position is at a precarious state. I would love to enforce it. However, the larger importance is still our survival," Prius explained.

Rys stood up. I could tell as the seat she was in screeched. "The Isyr are coming, Father. And they are fond of the Humans as well."

"But they do not hold the power we do, Rys. The Isyr will crumble as soon as they enter the atmosphere," Prius said with confidence.

"We'll see..." Rys muttered and left the room. She did not notice me either and entered the cylinder.

Silence engulfed the room. I still felt unsatisfied with the information I gained. I needed more. As if my call was answered, Prius exited the room. I held my breath. He paused at the entrance.

A couple of painstaking moments passed, before he left began walking towards the elevator. I let out the breath I was holding when the cylinder descended. Emerging from the dark shadows, I detected cameras angled towards the door. I glanced at the weapons in my disposal. On my wrists were some sort of shooters, I did not know how to use. I groaned, it would be tricky to manipulate circuit boards using Akashic.

I climbed the walls and gripped a camera and pulled open the circuit board. I scanned the wiring and grabbed a blade from the armor's belt. Tweaking the boards, the camera buzzed and switched off. I did the same for the others.

Finally, I stepped into the room. It was the same as General A-Roz had left it, only there were strange devices here and there. There were several chairs surrounding the desk. At the center of the desk, a holographic display was switched on. It displayed a strange image of a large metal sphere, surrounding it were smaller spheres. It looked like an artificial solar system only the smaller spheres did not rotate in orbit.

The alien words it displayed was incomprehensible, but with some Akashic effort it was readable.

The Assembly.
Race: Yorlv
Status: Lower Orbit

It was what Rys and Prius were talking about. Every little sphere was labelled with a race and status. Then it occurred to me. The entire conversation regarding the device being incomplete before they come. The they referred to something called Isyr. Which were fond of humans..? One of the spheres was labelled Isyr. The dreadful thought settled within me.

There was more than one race of aliens. And they were after Earth. 

__________________________________________________

A/N: I know... I've been gone for months... Sorry for that... Anyway, I'm back, and I've written a ton of chapters, so I will be updating regularly! Thank you for your patience. Leave a vote, comment, and share!