x. yawning

▪♡
roadside flowers.
chapter 10: yawning

--

winter has arrived with frosty branches and icy breaths, cups of warm cocoa served on coffee shops and restaurants, leaves encased in crystalline ice and snow blanketing the pavements. i step on the sidewalks piled with snow every now and then and i adore the sound as it crunches against my boots.

earlier, i helped yukari-senpai purchase new balls for the club in the city and the view there was on another level. when miyagi had trees and small houses covered with snow and ice making it look like a white forest, the city with its shops and people milling about looked like a winter wonderland. there were children with their parents laughing and pointing at the toys they wanted their parents to purchase, snowball fights, crystal blue icicles dangling dangerously in front of the shops and the tiniest hints of christmas embellishments.

winter isn't my favorite weather, that spot being taken by fall with its leaves and crisp air, but the winter season is probably my busiest season what with the winter cup just two weeks away.

aichiro and the other third years will be taking another break tomorrow for their entrance exams, so i have to manage the team with rintaro again.

i clench my fists stuffed in my pockets, the fabric of the cotton rustling with my winter coat. tomorrow will be different. tomorrow, i will be heard.

tomorrow, i will make them listen.

"teru's home!" a voice calls from the second floor windows of our house and i look up to see mai with her usual coiffure of twin braids and the look that is always up to some mischief. she waves at me giggling, half of her body leaning out the window that for a moment i fear that she's going to fall.

"close the window," i try to tell her, but she doesn't have time to hear because the next thing i know, she's vanished and she's running down the stairs in an almost inhumane pace. she leaps towards me, and envelops me in a tight hug.

"teru, you're so cold!" she tells me and buries her head in my stomach. "i missed you!"

"me too," i tell her and pat her head, relishing at the calming feeling of a warm embrace and my sister's soft periwinkle locks. mai's hair is the same shade as mine, only that hers is longer and she likes to adorn it with patterned ribbons. "how was the workshop?"

"it was pretty solid. a week away from you lot," she says and breaks away from the hug, giggling. "just kidding, i had to go back in time for your birthday, you know?"

"that's days away," i point out, and remove my shoes. "i'm glad you enjoyed the workshop."

"it was cool; lots of weird activities like closing your eyes and having someone give you instructions. we cooked curry too and a test of courage in groups, and also, a sort of treasure hunt, tug of war, group discussions, advocacy making and- oops, you want to go near the heater, don't you?"

i nod.

"i'll prepare hot cocoa," she tells me. mai has always been the one in charge of food ever since she learned. along with mei. there was a one year period where the entire family had to rely on delivery and fastfood since eniko (the only one of us kirishimas who can cook) left and mai and mei learning how to do said skill saved us. "you want marshmallows on yours? i have a lot of marshmallows from the workshop."

i give her another nod as she disappears into the kitchen. i take off my winterwear and head to my room first to change clothes. the heater was a blessing, it felt like huddling around a campfire. i passed by the twins' room first and to my relief, mei had already closed the window mai had left open.