the lonely soldier...

-Layne-POV-

"layne c'mon, we gotta go, we've gotta be on stage in 20 minutes and we aren't even there to take the stage" doc called from outside my room door.

"i'm coming!" I yelled and grabbed my purse before walking out the door.

we took the stage and danced and sung for our guys in uniform.

"you were great out there tonight layne!"

"thanks doc, i'm tired and hungry so i'm gonna head over to the mess hall and see what they have left from dinner"

"alright, be careful"

"i will" I said as I walked out and found my way to the mess hall.

walking in I found it empty other than the seemingly lonely soldier I saw sitting at one of the many tables in the tent.

I made my way to where they keep the left overs at and found something before I made my way back out to find a table to eat.

the soldier said

"mind if I join you?" I looked up to see the most beautiful blue eyes I ever saw looking down at me.

"no please do sit down!" I smiled and offered him some of the chicken I found in the leftover stuff.

"thanks, so um I saw you in the USO show tonight, your really good" he smiled

"thanks!"

"so do you sing too or do you just dance?"

"i sing every once In a while, not too often cause i'm really not that good"

"really?" he asked

"yea, my voice is rusty from not singing in a really long while" I said with my mouth half full

"why haven't you sung in a long while?"

"too much work to do and not enough time to sing"

"oh ok"

"yea so umm what's your name, I never caught it" I smiled

"i'm elvis Presley"

"i'm layne marie!' I smiled

"nice to meet you"

"yea you too!"

"so is the army your career now?" I asked

"no, once I get home i'm gonna keep singing and acting" he said taking another bit of chicken

"oh that's good, I've heard you and your pretty good" I smiled

"well thank you Ms Marie! is the USO your career?"

"no, i'm going to quit in a year or two and open a garage or something"

"your gonna open a garage?"

"yea, I like to be around cars" I chuckled

"your not the normal type of girl I meet"

"and what does that mean?"

"it means good, where did the name layne come from? I've never heard it before"

"i'm not really sure, my mama named me and I never got the chance to ask her why she named me layne"

"i like it, its different"

"thanks, what about yours?"

"i guess my mama just liked the name"

"oh"

"so would you maybe wanna have dinner tomorrow evening?"

"sure i'd love too"

"alright well I'll meet you at the yellow vet parked behind the womens shower tent, we'll take my car"