𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞

𝐚𝐯𝐚'𝐬 𝐩𝐨𝐯

  "happy birthday mom, make a wish," jack said as he placed the cupcake on his mother's grave. he continued,"i got the letter from Belgrave. Thin. Bad sign."

     i put a hand on jack's back to let him know that i'm here no matter what before playfully pushing my hand into his shoulder.

    jack ripped open the letter before reading the words written aloud,"thank you for your application to Belgrave University. we regret to inform you..." jack's face dropped as he said," i'm sorry mom. i did everything i could."

   i took the paper from out of his hands, confused on how i could possibly get in when he couldn't. as i was reading the letter, the words began shifting around on the page. i handed the paper back to jack, wondering what just happened.

    "weird," jake whispered, more to himself than to me. he began reading the letter out loud again,"we are pleased to inform you that you've been selected for the admission to the Belgrave class of 2023. full scholarship. living allowance."

    i was smiling wider than i ever have before when jack pulled me into a tight hug, lifting me off the ground and spinning me around. he set me back on the ground before saying,"mom, i got in! i got in! fucking a!"

   as he was screaming out of joy a mourning couple was walking past and jack quickly said,"i'm sorry for your loss."

                                           ⋆⋆⋆

     i woke up today with a promise in my head - college WILL be the end of my crush on jack morton. as easy as it sounded being repeated over and over in my head, the moment i saw jack in the line for the freshman orientation tour, my resolve had fallen.

   not only was he looking as good as he usually does, he had another guy pinned to the ground. as much as i preach the whole 'no violence' thing, seeing jack like this was a major turn on for me.

   "God, i love the smell of testosterone in the morning," a pretty blonde said walking towards jack,"smells like stupidity."

   jack began stumbling over his words before settling on saying,"it's just a misunderstanding, for which i apologize. are we good?" he then held a hand out to shake hands with the guy he had pinned down previously before the said guy smacked his hand away before walking away with someone else.

   "they say college is where you meet your true friends, apparently it's also where you meet your best enemies," the blonde said, bringing attention to her again.

   jack smiled at her before replying,"sorry about that. i'm jack." the blonde gave a small chuckle before saying,"uh, hi, jack. i'm just trying to give a tour."

    the tour was quite boring since i've been to Belgrave hundreds of times and have this place memorized like the back of my hand. the only exciting part about it was that jack practically led the entire tour, possibly embarrassing alyssa in the process.

   "and that brings us back to where we started, concluding our tour," jack said smiling as the group began to applaud him.

   the group began to disperse as alyssa asked jack,"where did you learn all that?" i decided now would be a great time to make my presence known by saying,"his grandfather used to work here and he's a bit of a Belgrave completist."

  she looked in my direction before turning back to face jack and said,"well that was kind of impressive." i could already tell that i would not like alyssa drake.