Chapter 11: Council of Elrond

The next morning Niphredil woke up and took a bath with Arwen's help. She still was feeling great pain in her chest with each movement. She wore a white dress and waited for the start of the council. She was reading a book when Finrod and Legolas came for her and together they left for the council.

***

Frodo had seated on a chair next to Gandalf. He was nervous. Everyone who had been summoned was gathering for Elrond's council. Suddenly a breeze blew and brought with it, a smell of a flower that he had not seen before. It was soothing and he closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

Seconds later, Elves came. In front of them was Elrond who was walking with a woman, beautiful beyond measure.

Her silver hair and white dress reminded him of a glorious cold and icy mountain, yet her beautiful absorbent brown eyes could make everyone warm and calm in an instant and enchant their audiences.

A delicate golden circlet was on top of her head which was designed with little white flowers that seemed alive.

So was it that Frodo saw Niphredil Elentary for the first time. Her gaze shifted to Frodo and peered into his eyes. Frodo felt relaxed but exposed at the same time. It was like she could see his hopes and fears.

An elf who was injured the day Frodo had seen him, came forth and took the woman's hand. Frodo had figured out his name was Finrod Cúthalion and had come there with his sister on an errand from Lothlorien. The brother and sister were like Moon and sun next to each other and had undeniable similarities.

Legolas, the prince of Mirkwood, came on the other side of the woman. Together, they went for their chairs that were next to Gandalf.

Gandalf stood happily and hugged the she-elf. "Niphredil Elentary. It's good to see you are better." Said Gandalf in Elvish.

Niphredil smiled kindly. "thank you so much, Mitheandir." Answered Niphredil. Her voice was smooth and beautiful. Even the dwarves were looking at the Lady of Lorien with admiration and respect.

***

Everyone sat on their chairs and the council began. Niphredil felt uneasy. She could feel the power of the ring. Its malice was at work. Everyone was nervous.

Many tales and reports were told and Niphredil understood that Gollum had fled from Mirkwood dungeons. She touched her forearm unconsciously. Then Elrond asked Frodo to bring forth the ring. Every eye was on Frodo. Silence fell on the council. Frodo put the ring on a pedestal table.

Boromir, the man from Gondor, began to speak about Gondor, its defense and problems. He began to say dangerous words and began to get close to the ring inattentive to Elrond's warnings. Suddenly Gandalf stood and said the words in Mordor tongue.

'Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum - ishi krimpatul.'

A Shadow passed over the sun. Niphredil felt a pain in her head and closed her eyes. She clenched armrests so tight that her knuckles turned white. Abruptly, she heard a voice, dark, menacing, powerful and harsh. She knew this voice. She had heard it before. "Niphredil, come to me. Be mine or you will die."

She was frozen. Suddenly she felt a warmth on her hand and opened her eyes. She was breathing hard and fast and her whole body was trembling.

The shadow had passed and the sun was shining brightly. She looked at her hand. Legolas had taken her hand. She raised her head and saw his worried eyes. She gave him a reassuring smile but grabbed his hand tightly like a rescue rope and slowly calmed down and got aware of her surroundings. She saw Gimli son of Gloin raised his ax and brought it down on the ring with all of his power. His ax broked into pieces and he threw backward, but nothing happened for the ring.