Chapter VI - Dream On

    “Saint Dymphna?” Dean asked, crossing his arms as his eyebrows knit together.

    “Yes, Saint Dymphna,” Castiel confirmed, nodding.

    Sam furiously typed on his laptop, pulling up many articles on the Saint. “It says here that she is - er,” Sam cleared his throat, “Was, the daughter of an Irish King who was Pagan.”

    “Oh, great, we’re dealing with Pagans again,” Dean said with a sigh, sitting next to Leila on the bed. “I hate Pagans.”

    “What’s wrong with Pagans?” Leila asked, raising an eyebrow.

    “Let’s just say that I literally want to kill every fudging one of them,” Dean said, dismissing the conversation.

    Sam let a soft chuckle out, in hindsight of the event on that one Christmas, the goddess trying to make Dean not swear was entertaining, funny even. He shook his head, turning back to the computer screen. “It also says that her father murdered her, wait,” Sam turned back to Castiel, “Doesn’t that mean she’s already fallen?”

    “Well, not necessarily,” Castiel replied, “She was blessed just before her death, and, I suppose the simplest way to put it is; she’s like you boys, she does not… stay dead. Rather, unlike you, she reincarnates by gaining another vessel.”

    “Alright, so what’s the big deal with her falling?” Dean asked, “Can’t she just reincarnate and heaven can calm down?”

    “That is the issue,” Castiel said, “She can’t, her falling usually only occurs every seven hundred years; marking the anniversary of her death. This time was… different.”

    Dean sighed, mumbling a quiet, ‘fan-friggin-tastic.’ He looked at the angel, “How is it different?”

    Castiel sighed mournfully, “This time she killed herself.”

    Leila swallowed hard and side glanced at Dean, who was doing the same to her. She rubbed her arm, her hoodie covering the bandages that her and Dean didn’t want Sam to see. She could barely feel the stitches through her hoodie and gauze, but could feel them all the same. She looked away, wishing she hadn’t heard that. If a Saint could lose hope and  finish herself, why couldn’t she?

    Leila stood up and walked to the other room, Dean didn’t want her to kill herself and she was going to try her best not to. Staying away from triggering conversations was one way she could do that. Sam frowned, looking from Castiel to his older brother. Dean didn’t met his glance, he was the one that had set the ‘don’t tell Sam’ rule, after all. He couldn’t break it this early after setting it. Dean desperately wanted to change the topic of the conversation, but knew that this could lead him and Sam to what had been attacking them.

    “Okay, so what do you need us for?” Dean asked, rubbing his temples with his ring finger and thumb. “If she’s already done herself in, then there’s nothing we can do.”

    “For once, Dean,” Castiel mused, “You’re wrong when it comes to lore.”

    “What?” Dean asked, looking up his angelic companion.

    Castiel looked at Dean, “I cannot speak about it as of right now. But I require your help in finding her essence.”

    “Her essence?” Sam asked, his forehead wrinkling as he raised his eyebrows.

    Castiel looked from one Winchester to the other, then decided he’d change the subject. “Why did the girl leave the room?” He asked, pointing to the separated room.