Chapter XI - Carry On Wayward Son

The external link I added is the alternate title for this chapter. :3

Chapter XI - Carry On Wayward Son

Rain spray-painted the windshield as the Impala surged forwards down the deserted road. Speed limits were shattered as Dean forced more pressure onto the gas pedal of the old roadster. Sam clenched the bottom of his seat, causing his knuckles to go white. Dean had sped before, but never to that extent. Dean never drove with so much... purpose. The Impala carried them across town, Sam was confused. Dean was taking them out of town. The bridge was only a couple minutes away - and that was without Dean's high speed driving. Dean's forehead was creased with worry, Sam wished that he'd open up. Sam would share the burden with him if Dean would just talk to him. Dean was just praying that he would get there in time again.

"Dean, I'm all for trying to find her, but do you even have the slightest idea where the hell you're going?" Sam asked.

Dean didn't respond. He never peeled his eyes from the road, even though he usually did while driving. No music was on. No speaking commenced. The only sound was the purr of the engine as she roared down the road. Dean stopped when he knew the bridge was near, and he flicked the headlights off. If she wasn't there, Dean wouldn't know where to look. He scarcely remembered her telling him that she'd tried to kill herself with a gun the first time. But he was almost certain that he was right in his guesses. What better place to kill oneself than right there? He jumped out of the car, Sam got out quickly.

"Dean, the bridge? You're sure?" Sam asked, looking at his brother over the sleek onyx roof of the Impala.

Dean managed a nod. He swallowed hard, the lump in his throat only returning. He looked to the bridge, and could see the faintest outline of a figure. His mouth went dry. He slammed the door of the car shut, and took off towards the figure. He didn't dare breathe. He just ran. As fast as he could. She wasn't getting away so easily. Not if he could help it. Dean could faintly hear Sam's footsteps behind him, though he knew it could also have been the blood pounding in his ears. His hair stuck to his forehead, rain drops pelting him viciously. He wanted to yell, he hoped he was yelling. He couldn't hear himself if he was. His heart was beating too fast for him to tell. Dean reached her spot in absolutely no time, panting more than he should have been. Leila shakily turned, her cheeks tear stained. Her feet looked unsteady on the railing.

"Kid, what're you doing?" Dean breathed, doubling over to catch his breath. "I thought you were done with this. I thought you dealt with it."

"Dean..." Leila said, her voice wavering. Sam ran up beside Dean. He already looked like a drowned rat in the pouring rain. "I was never okay. I don't want to be here, and I know you think that things will get better, but they won't. I know they won't." Tears slipped from her eyes, moulding with the raindrops kissing her cheeks.

"They will, though." Dean said, he felt his stomach rise up to his throat. "I know that right now, it feels like the devil is on your ass. Hell, maybe he was for a little while. But he's gone now. He can't come back, you've got nothing to worry about. Sweetheart, you're a teenager. You've still got a lifetime to live, the sky's the limit."

"What's a limitless sky to the wingless?" Leila asked, meeting Dean's eyes. "Maybe that could have worked with that Saint you were trying to find... But I'm sorry, I'm not her. I need to do this."

"Leila," Sam said softly, the name catching in his throat. "I know that sometimes everything seems like it's black. Nothing looks like it will happen. But things do change. The people that were dicks to you, they won't matter. No one will matter. You ran away, got away from those people. Things were starting to look up, couldn't you see it?"