2 | entrance exams (past)

chapter two ! — entrance exams

.・。.・゜.・゜・。.

FLASHBACK:

MANY STUDENTS STOOD at the closed entrance of one of the centers. Everyone was either chatting among one another or standing off to the side, preparing themselves for what was to come. You could feel the tension in the air as it became closer and closer for the exam to start. Everyone was on edge, even the ones who looked like they had it all together. Every single one of their minds were flowing with both positive and negative thoughts. Some more than others were more filled with negative than positive.

Fourteen year old Amaya stood more towards the back of the group of students as they waited. Amaya's long platinum blonde hair went down just above her waist, covering almost half of her face. Her doe brown orbs were looking down at the laces on her shoes, her other foot playing with the thick white laces. But the reason for that was mostly because Amaya was always so shy and liked to keep her head down and out of everyone's line of sight. Young Amaya's hands clutched onto her long sleeve sweat shirt while nervously fiddling with the fabric.

She knew she had to do good on the entrance exams. No, she had to do better than good. He told her she had to get top marks. Amaya's father made it very clear to her that he wanted her to be at the top and to do better than the rest. He was always so rough on her but he didn't see that. All he wanted was for Amaya to be number one and for her to not embarrass the Hirayama family name. He didn't care about her feelings and how she felt about the choices he made, her not getting a say in anything. He was always rough and didn't hold back during training with Amaya. Her mother always hated it when he was like that with her. She was the one thing that stood between Amaya and her father's abuse. Now that she wasn't around there was no one to stop it.

Amaya nervously looked around at everyone in front of her. The young girl tried her best to calm down and take deep breaths in and out. In through her nose, out through her mouth. She tried to have as much confidence in herself as possible. Amaya tried not to panic and focused on her breathing. Anxiety started to build up no matter how many times she tried the breathing technic. But she still didn't panic but instead decided to start walking around to clear her mind and shake out the nerves. Amaya knew she needed to focus on something else and occupy her mind.

So she started to analyse the other kids she would be competing with. Slowly, she started walking forwards while still fiddling with her sweatshirt. Her line of sight went in different directions as she looked at each of them curiously. She wondered about their quirks and what their back story was. What made them want to join the hero course? Was it simply because they wanted to save lives or was it a deeper reason then that? As these thoughts entered Amaya's mind she still continued to move forward.

Once she noticed she was almost close to the crowd, her mind began to drift off again to other things. Amaya hadn't even noticed that she finally calmed down and her breathing was even. She then felt herself bump into someone in front of her and quickly jumped out of her thoughts. The person in front of her had jolted forwards and let out a noise in surprise. Her eyes went wide and she instantly started scrambling up an apology.

Amaya quickly bowed frantically causing her hair to fall in front of her face, blocking both her sight and the person's sight of her face. "Oh, I'm so sorry! I wasn't looking where I was going" Amaya said as quickly as she possibly could. She squeezed her eyes shut tightly as she waited for the person she bumped into to start yelling and getting upset with her. But, to her surprise, she was met with a hyper, reassuring, and loud voice.