Chapter 3

Picture: Flamepelt

The Fourtrees clearing was filled with chatting cats sharing tongues. StormClan's group emerged out of the brambles, eager to join in. But Jaypool wasn't that eager. She had to find Crow, Flame and Otter from the other clans. Best to start looking now, she thought. Her blue eyes swept over the crowd of cats. As if that would help her. She knew a couple of cats from different clans, but none of them starting with the names Crow, Flame or Otter.

"Hey!" Jaypool cautiously approached two chatting SamdClan cats. One of them was a small calico cat with amber eyes. The tom next to her was a muscular, very pale ginger tabby with green eyes and white paws.

They looked up. "Hi. You must be from StormClan!" The calico said.

Jaypool nodded. "My name's Jaypool."

"I'm Duskleaf, and this is Fadinglight."

"Nice to meet you, Duskleaf and Fadinglight. I'm looking for a cat from your clan. Can you help me?"

"Sure!" Fadinglight's pine-green eyes lit up.

"This may seem really weird, but I only know the first part of their name. I'm looking for someone with the first name Crow, Flame, or Otter. Do you know anyone?"

Duskleaf's face twisted in confusion, but she seemed to know better than to ask. "Crow, Flame, or Otter? Yes, we have a tom called Flamepelt. He's quiet easy to spot- bright orange tabby with white paws, belly, chest, muzzle and tail. Lucky for you, he's here today." Fadinglight answered.

"Thank you so much!" Jaypool soaked up his description like moss.

"Oh, and I also know a cat named after Crow, if you need..." Duskleaf added.

"Yes, please!"

"He's from LakeClan- his name is Crowtail. He's a black tom. But I'm not sure if he's here today." She told her.

"Thank you!" Jaypool dipped her head and backed off into the crowd. First things first- find Flamepelt! She raked her eyes through the crowd, sporting a few gingers, but not Flamepelt. Finally she saw him- he was sitting near the edge of the clearing on his own, rasping a tongue over his white paw. Jaypool pushed her way through the cats.

"Hello, Flamepelt," she called. The tom turned around, surprised.

"How do you know my name?" He asked, lowering his eyes in suspicion.

"Someone told me. Listen, I need to talk to you. It's important."

"Okay..." Flamepelt stood up and followed Jaypool deeper into the forest.

"StarClan has sent us a prophecy. There are four cats, from different clans, chosen to defeat two evil cats. Jay, Crow, Flame and Otter. You are Flame. I am-" She stopped as realisation hit her like a rock. "Oh, I'm sorry! My name is Jaypool. I am Jay." Her cheeks turned hot. Flamepelt purred in amusement.

"So, we gotta find Crow and Otter, huh?" he grinned.

"You... agree?"

"Yeah. I need something to do, anyways. I'll help you."

"Great!" Well, that was easy. I hope Crow and Otter are this friendly, Jaypool thought.

"Let's go! I know a tom called Crowtail from LakeClan. I've seen him here today, luckily!" Flamepelt brushed past the ferns, back into the noisy clearing.

"Oh look, there he is!"

Jaypool bounded to catch up with the small tabby, who was heading toward a skinny, sleek black cat sitting amongst three others.