Chapter 5

Picture: Frostfoot (REMEMBER HIM?)

Two glowing amber eyes glared down on Jaypool. Whispers screamed in her ears and the a harsh, stormy wind tugged violently at her fur. Suddenly, ice cold water seeped across her paws, swirling like a whirlpool. But then she realised it wasn't water. It was thick, freezing blood, rising higher, up to her belly. An evil laugh rasped through the dark night.

You can't run from me! It whispered. You can't defeat me!

The swirling blood rose up further, causing her to splutter and choke, coughing up blood. There were no stars in the black night sky, only the pair of terrifying eyes. She sank into the icy blood. Something tickled her nose.

Jaypool sneezed and woke up with a start. She was trembling. Ottersong's bushy tail brushed past her face again, and Jaypool pawed it away. She looked up, blinking sleep from her eyes. There had been no dream of StarClan tonight. Sunshine streamed into the cave shining on the four cats' bodies, dappling their fur like tortoiseshell pelts. Jaypool stretched, yawned, and padded out into the sunny forest. Fortunately, she'd already forgotten all about the dead, half-eaten badger in the burrow.

"Wake up! We slept too long!" She called into the cave. It wasn't long until Crowfrost, Flamepelt and Ottersong emerged.

"Time to head into those dark coyote-infested woods," Crowfrost sighed.

"Don't say it like that. You haven't even been in there!" Ottersong laughed.

"I can imagine it." He shrugged in reply. His playful mood soon vanished as the four cats stepped into the dark woods. Pine trees loomed over them, blocking out the morning sun. Pale mist hung thickly in the air, and Jaypool felt the icy air send goosebumps over her body. There were no more cheerful bird songs. Just dead leaves crunching beneath their paws. No wind rustled the branchy, leafless bramble bushes; everything was totally still. And something else ran shivers down Jaypool's spine- the strong, overpowering smell of coyote.

Ottersong, who was also suspiciously eyeing their surroundings, pressed closer to Crowfrost as they slowly made their way through the forest.

"This is roughly how I'd imagine an evil forest of death," Flamepelt said, breaking the heavy silence. "Except for thousands of dead, bloody cats scattered everywhere!" He grinned at his friends' horrified expressions. But before anyone could answer,they hear a growl. Jaypool whipped her head from side to side, scanning the sense line of pine trees. Something rustled behind them, and her fur bristled. As she swung around, a skinny grey canine steps out of the shadows, foaming at the mouth. His hungry dark eyes were fixed on the cats, and it let out another menacing growl. Jaypool bunched her muscles, yowling as the coyote rammed into her side. She collapsed into the leaves, the breath escaping her with a whoosh. Groaning, she heaved herself to her paws, in time to see Ottersong, Flamepelt and Crowfrost attacking the coyote with ferocious yowls. Jaypool shook blood from her thick fur and raked her claws across the mangy canines cheek. Then she leapt into the air, twisted, and landed on its back. She dug her sharp claws into its skin until she felt warm blood welling out. The coyote bucked and sprang backward, violently flinging Ottersong and Flamepelt into the air. A sick crack echoed through the forest and Flamepelt lay still, Ottersong sprawled in a panting mess beside him. Crowfrost bared his teeth and sank his jaws into the coyotes throat. It snarled and twisted its body around, slamming Jaypool into a tree, crushing her left paw. She winced and recoiled, feeling her fresh wounds throbbing with pain. Crowfrost shrieked as the coyote jumped up and howled, shaking off the young black tom. It grabded him in its strong teeth and shook hard until Crowfrost's body went limp. With a thud, he dropped to the ground, dazed. The coyote padded over to where Ottersong was lying, and raised a paw, ready to smash it into the brown tabby she-cats skull. What happened next almost passed as if in fast forward- a shimmering white light appeared in front of the coyote. It was the white tom from Jaypool's dream! He snarled, baring his fangs. He flattened his ears and hissed, lashing his bushy white tail back and forth. He sprang onto his opponent, slashing his claws. The coyote whimpered and backed of, limping as dark blood runs quickly down its shoulder. With another slash of the white toms claws, it turned tail and fled into the forest. Then everything went black.

Intense, emerald green eyes stared down at Jaypool as her eyes fluttered open. The ghostly white tom was looming over her. She grunted, staggering to her paws and blinking until her blurry vision focused on Crowfrost, Flamepelt and Ottersong. Then she remembered- their fight with the coyote! To her utter astonishment, they were all fine! In fact, they had not a single scratch on their bodies!

"Jaypool! We're healed completely! This StarClan warrior saved us from the coyote!" Ottersong cried.

"Medicine cat, actually." The white tom dipped his head.

Ottersong's jaw hung to the ground in surprise.

"Hey! We're on the other side of the woods! How...?" Flamepelt exclaimed.

"StarClan can do many things." The tom simple replied. "You four don't have much time left. Keep heading north until you reach those stones over there. See them?" He flicked his tail in the direction. Jaypool arched her neck and peered into the distance. He was right- a bunch of sharp, jagged rocked stretched into the air, looking as if they could tear a hole in the cloudless blue sky. It wasn't far away at all.

"I have to leave. Good luck on your journey." The tom backed into the shadows.

"Wait! Who are you?" Crowfrost called.

"My name is Frostfoot. I was LakeClan's old medicine cat." He replied.

"No wonder none of us recognise you, then." Crowfrost said, as Frostfoot faded away completely.

"Let's get going. Frostfoot said we don't have much time left. The rocks aren't far!" Ottersong suggested, already starting to walk north. The three cats followed.

The sun hung in the middle of the sky by the time they reached the rocks. Jaypool was desperate for a drink, and some shade. But she knew they didn't come her for rest.

"Finally we're here!" Flamepelt panted. His dark ginger fur was a little sweaty, plastered to his body.

"Hey, look in that cave! What's that blue glow coming out of it?" Ottersong squinted. Sure enough, Jaypool spotted an eerie glow flooding out of a small opening the the rocks.

"That must be where StarClan wants us to go! Come on!" She said, trotting toward the entrance. She squeezed underneath the sharp stones, emerging in a round cave. As the others appeared behind her, she noticed a blue, glowing stone in the middle if the cave.

Put your noses against it and close your eyes! A familiar voice whispered through the hollow area. Frostfoot! The others seemed to have heard it too, because they immediately obeyed.

Jaypool forced herself not to pull away from the cold stone, and pressed her nose against it. Then she closed her eyes. She felt herself spinning around and around; faster and faster.

"Oof!" The air escaped her lungs for a moment as she landed in short grass. It didn't take her long to find out she was in a dream. But it wasn't StarClan. No way. Jaypool was in a meadow, short green grass stretching out underneath plain blue sky for as far as the eye could see. It was broad daylight, and the bright sun blazed down from above.

A voice rang out behind her. "I've been expecting you, Jaypool."

OMG! This chapter is SO short! I'm really sorry! I hope you liked it anyway :(