2 | 1 ~ Playthings

"Do you not know how to knock?" Scarlett snapped at him once she regained her thoughts.

"I tend to forget the habit when I'm in MY gang house," Cayden commented dryly, emphasising the "my" to state his point before pushing away from the door.

William moved to stand next to Scarlett, overlooking Cayden with wary eyes as he laced his fingers together in front of him. With the sudden movement, Cayden's eyebrows crashed down as his eyes flickered between the two of them, those same eyes not blinking once.

"Now, as you so subtly managed to avoid answering, I'm only going to ask one last time: what is going on here?"

Scarlett pursed her lips, her brows quirking in annoyance. "Nothing."

"We're training."

Both of them speak at the same time, but Cayden chose to ignore Scarlett and only focused on the latter instead.

"What? William, you don't need training." He turned to look pointedly at Scarlett. "He doesn't need training."

"Well, seeing as fighting is one of his weaker skills, I really think he does."

Cayden glared at her, no doubt irritated with her for constantly arguing with him over his rules.

"No, he doesn't. He's never part of the field missions, because that isn't his job. We'll protect him if it's necessary so he really does not need any type of physical training."

"And what, if you do not mind me asking, is his job Mr. Carlisle? You can not just promise him that and expect everything to go right."

"I'm the ha-" William tried answering for himself, but Cayden wasn't having any of it.

"This is where you keep quiet, William. The adults are speaking."

With that simple demand, William immediately submitted as he stepped back and dropped his gaze to the ground. He looked almost... hurt and Scarlett frowned, feeling a sence of protection towards him.

"No, please state your opinion, William." She grabbed his arm and roughly pulled him back into the position next to her. "Cayden has no right to control-"

"-Oh, yes I do!" He reached out his arm before doing the same as Scarlett by pulling William over to his side. "He is a member of the gang, not to mention the same gang that I'm controlling so if you please... we will now be leaving without anymore arguing or unreasonable training."

Cayden then proceeded to make his way to the door, dragging a very confused nerd after him.

Anger sizzled hot and her muscles tensed. She breathed in one long draught and then released it as she found her hand automatically reaching for a weapon in her backpack. "Cayden, that is where you are wrong. This "gang" that you are controlling, will always be just as strong as their weakest member. You may keep William from training because you think that you are protecting him, but when it comes to the final decisions, I think that he has a right to make them himself. I do not want to cause unnecessary trouble, but putting him in a position where he can not defend for himself will leave your whole gang vulnerable."

"Whatever you do and whatever you say will not change my mind. I stand firmly with my beliefs when-"

His words were abruptly cut off by the entrance of the gym as he came face to face with the blade of a dagger protruding from the wall, still swaying back and forth from the recent throw. Cayden growled lowly in his throat, almost threateningly before shoving William towards the stairs leading to the ground floor. "Leave us."

"That's it, I'm done with this chapter..." William mumbled as he left, dusting metaphorical dust from his hands.

Scarlett smirked as she spun another dagger in her hand, ignoring the substantial steps Cayden took on his way towards her.