Mama knows best

"It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you."

Harry messaged me soon after to tell me to meet him for dinner at his place for 7 o clock. I was worried for what the occasion was. He's never done anything like this.

I had an hour left until I needed to leave for Harry's, I'd just finished up maths revision and I was tapping my pen relentlessly on my desk. Debating something.

I think I should tell Mum. What was worse was Mum hadn't even met Harry. She just heard of him through my swooning since we'd been getting closer.

I regrettably walked down stairs, actually feeling the small bump as I moved, to speak to Mum.

She was in the kitchen, a chicken pie being pulled out of the oven as I walked in.

Mum turned around, face red from the oven heat and hair up in a bun, she had loose strands floating around. She also had makeup on, mum never wears makeup unless it's a special occasion. I eyed her curiously as she beamed at me.

"Anna, grab that towel for me darling." She asked, pulling off the oven gloves and setting them on the marble counter surface.

I did as she asked and went to start up conversation, "Mum I—"

I was interrupted by yelling.

"PHOEBE PISS OFF." Daisy yelled, broom in one hand. She came ricocheting through the kitchen toward the front room, Phoebe following seconds later with scissors held dangerously in her balled fist.

"Girls...GIRLS." Mum screamed, the pair back tracking guiltily.

"Phoebe put the scissors down for godssake and Daisy mind your language young lady." She scalded. Only Daisy took affect from the telling off and went bright red, the other teen grinning ear to ear.

"Sorry babe, continue.." she said to me and eyed the two girls walking off solemnly.

"Mum I need to tell you—" I fumbled with my hands and sighed as I was interrupted again, "Sorry darling," Mum whispered, hearing the twin teenagers start bickering again.

"PHOEBE WAKE THE TWINS UP AND DAISY GET LOTTIE AND FIZZY DOWN PLEASE." 

She looked at me with her eyebrows raised, "Those two will kill each other one day I swear." She laughed.

She stopped smiling when she saw me start to cry.

"Oh, oh hunny what's wrong?" She pulled me close to her chest, playing with my hair the way Harry does which only made me cry harder.

"Mummy I got pregnant." I choked out.

The hand playing with my hair froze. Mum pulled me away to catch my eyes, making sure I wasn't pranking her like I used to when I was younger.

"..W..what." She stuttered out, lip quavering.

"I'm pregnant." I whispered.

She went into one, eyes off in a different corner of the room, she took my hand in hers and grasped it, while she searched for her wine glass.

Mum downed the wine in seconds, looking to me with red stain on her lips.

"Is H-Harry the father?" She said in a whisper, like someone would be listening in on us.

I nodded and burst into tears again.

"Oh Anna." She cried out.

"He doesn't know." I cried out against her chest.

Mum squeezed my hand in hers and kissed my head, I could feel her shaking, "Do you want to keep it?"

I thought about everything. Not being able to even think about abortion, not having enough confidence to put it up for adoption. Having such a strong bond only six weeks into the pregnancy...

"Yes."

Mum nodded, biting her lip as tears slipped out.

"We'll get through this together."

It turned out Harry invited Mum over to meet his parents while we had our own evening. That's why Mum was wearing makeup.

Mum and I stood close to each other by Harry's door, hearing the shuffling. I was planning on telling Harry tonight, I was so nervous I couldn't stop fidgeting.

Mum put her hand on my stomach and smiled confidently when I looked at her.

"You're gonna be okay, everything's going to be okay."

A/N

I started writing this way before Fizzy passed away and I've never hurt more having to mention her.

RIP Jay And Fizzy 👼
Fly high

🐝